PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Do you pack straight Cavendish different from other tobaccos? I’m relatively new to smoking a pipe; as in I haven’t done so (and did so poorly) about 35 years ago, and then gave it up. Now that I’ve been retired for about six years I decided to give it a go again a few months ago.
I’m just smoking aromatics right now ( tried a Latakia blend - ‘Frog Morton’) and I could not stomach it, much less it’s putrid smell, then again I can’t stand fried liver so to each his own and maybe I’ll give it another go as time goes by, but be that as it may. As it goes now I’ve been smoking Lane 1Q, Captain Black (dark), Lane RLP-6, Lane BCA, Pipeworks Wilke 191 (love it) and their Cherry Cavendish. I don’t seem to have all that much of a problem with the aromatic blends, but when it comes to the straight black Cavendish I find myself constantly having to relight it over and over again, which of course is quite irritating and distracting to the taste, albeit I most definitely like them.
I usually take the straight Cavendish and lay a bowl full out on a piece of paper to dry out for about an hour, but I still have the same problem. Granted, and I’ll freely admit that I still have somewhat of a learning curve to as to how to pack a pipe correctly and consistently, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what the problem is that I’m having with the straight Cavendish? It obviously seems to be a thicker and chunkier cut (not sure if I’m explaining that correctly, but I’m sure you understand). Are there any thoughts, and or ideas from your collective experience as to how a straight black Cavendish should be packed, or for that matter, does it really make any difference?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
phil67, I think you have the right idea but need to let the Cavendish dry out a little longer, and maybe in

a shallow dish or small bowl, so the cloth or paper doesn't take off too much of the moisture. Pack the

Cavendish a little looser than other tobaccos. You can always tamp it down a little if you pack it too loose.

I've had good luck smoking various versions of Cavendish by itself. It gives a nice thick smoke and fine

flavor to my mind. Some people complain about all smoke and no flavor, and how it leaves the pipes

"goopey," but I have not had these problems. Maybe a little more moisture in the bowl, but if you always

scour out the bowl with a tissue or paper towel, that takes care of it, along with a thorough pipe cleaner

cleaning. I don't want the Cavendish saturated in flavorings, but a nice light vanilla, walnut, or rum can

bring up the tobacco flavor nicely. If you pack it right, and tamp it between lights, I don't think you'll have

much trouble having to relight more than once or twice. Start by drying it overnight and see how it goes.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
There shouldn't be a big difference in a straight black cavendish and any other moist aro. I used to be primarily an aro smoker for a long time, and for about a year I smoked both Lane BCA and Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish (also a Lane product) almost exclusively. I never had any real problems keeping them lit once I figured out how to tamp and pack properly. As far as packing, I pack all of my loose cut tobaccos about the same, wether it's an aro, burley, Va, English or anything else.
A note about drying aros, I don't like to let them dry for very long as I feel it detracts from the flavor. I let them dry no more than 30 min. or so.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I tried a few bowls of the Lane BCA and found it to smoke very wet. Mixing it 50/50 with 1Q relieved that issue and gave me a more enjoyable smoke. Both mixtures are very syrupy but the straight cavandish I found to be just too goopy to be smoked straight without some serious drying time and even then adding heat just brings out the moisture even after drying.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
You might also try using the "Swirl" method of packing your pipe. There was a thread and a video about it on here not long ago, it's very simple and effective.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I smoke different blends, including a coarse cut black cav, and find the only packing method that works well with that type of blend is the 3-stage, but I do my 3-stage by eye, not by feel. First stage, overfill then tamp down to halfway. Second stage overfill and tamp to 2/3 full. Third stage overfill and tamp level with the rim. That old "baby hand, woman's hand, man's hand" bit never worked for me. Haven't been a baby in a long time, never been a woman, and my idea of a manly handshake involves the sound of bones snapping :) And I don't dry my cav, but then again it comes from my B&M just right to start with.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Petes03 wrote:

You might also try using the "Swirl" method of packing your pipe. There was a thread and a video about it on here not long ago, it's very simple and effective.

Looks a tad messy method, but I’ll certainly give it a try someday when I have no concern, and or need to possibly dry out a tobacco for a period of time. After all; when I do dry it out (no matter how short of a period) I only measure out a bowl full and that method calls for a good deal more to work properly and I would hate to dry out that much tobacco for only one pipe full. While watching that video it was very reminiscent to the very same method I’ve been using for years for stuffing popcorn into my mouth. :lol:
Today, just for the hell of it, I mixed a 50/50 mix of BCA and RLP-6 (with about an hour of drying time) and it worked out quite nice. Then, later on in the day, I did the same thing with 1Q and I had a bit of a problem, but I attribute that to improper packing. Like I previously said; it’s all still learning curve as to proper packing to me and I’ll get there. After all, I’m retired and have plenty of time and I thank everyone for their collective input, and if I may add... a great informative and friendly forum site. :wink:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Sorry if my above post did not come out correctly. I own and run a forum site for about five years (not pipe related} and I'm used to 'Preview' and WYSIWYG when posting, which this forum site does not have. I did not mean to embed the video, but simply give the link to what I possibly thought petes03 was referring to. Also, which you can obviously see, is that one is not able to delete a post. :wink:

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
it's been my experience that straight black Cavendish can be soaked with casing and can therefore be very wet. I try to pack it loosely or it seems to burn hot. also, you can try mixing it with some light burley

Status
Not open for further replies.