PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Good day all, I received a pipe through ebay this morning, a lovely stanwell in need of some TLC. I never like to complain/criticise those who use a lot of packing material to ensure the pipe or the tobacco will arrive to its destination in a good health. However, the pipe had been wrapped tightly in bubble wrap with a lot of parcel tape wrapped all the way around. This was in a cardboard sleeve and that itself in a bubblewrap envelope.
I got the impression that this thing could survive anything any courier could throw at it, but aside from it being a pain to remove, unless you use a knife/scissors which I don't like doing for fear of scratching the briar,trying to pull it off bit by bit, I could feel the steam starting to turn in the shank, I left it be and had to use a small knife in the end for fear of snapping the tenon!
What are you experiences with good/bad packaging? What do you do yourselves when sending/trading bits? I always separate and individually wrap the stem and briar.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The best pipe packing I've seen from ebay was a seller who used two pieces of egg carton with the pipe sandwiched in between. The pipe had a few layers of newspaper wrapped around it as well. That entire assembly was then put in a small cardboard box.
Most pipes seem to come wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed into an envelope. After over a hundred shipments received I haven't encounter a single problem. Judging from what I've read I've been pretty lucky.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I had to laugh when I read your post, yorkshirepipe. It reminded me of a very frustrating time I had a few years ago. I had agreed to sell some nice pipes on eBay for a customer. He sent a dozen pipes all individually wrapped tightly in self-sticking parchment wrap followed by bubble wrap that was then covered by several layers of duct tape. Heck, I'd have made more money charging the customer for my time to unwrap his pipes than what I got for selling them!
Pipestud

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
York-

I'd much rather receive a pipe that is over wrapped/packaged than under packaged. If it takes me an hour to unwrap, and its still in one piece, I'm ok with it. The other side of the coin is not so pleasant........ see my post from a few days ago: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/aaaarrrgghhh-inexperienced-ebay-sellers

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I'm with Beefeater on this one - I've gotten insanely wrapped pipes from ebay sellers: once I got a pipe, bubblewrapped and completely taped all around every inch of the wrap, inside a box, that was wrapped the same way, with peanuts around it, inside another box, wrapped with paper, taped all around. It took a good deal of patience to cut/unwrap that one without cutting myself or damaging anything. But better than a broken pipe.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I bought a 10yr old tin of baccy a year or so ago off the bay. The tin was in a box and then the box was stuffed so tight with peanuts that it felt like a brick. The only problem with this was that during shipment the box must have had some weight on it or been smashed a bit. The packing job held up well but because of the tightness there was no where for this extra pressure to go. Needless to say when I opened the box the seal had popped and I had to return it. I guess that goes to show that you can pack "too" tight. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just throw a pipe in a envelope with mo packing material and hope for the best.
Seriously, I wrap the bowl and stem separately in bubble wrap. I use priority mail boxes, put a layer of bubble wrap on the bottom and one on the top after I put the pipes in. I use enough bubble wrap to insure there will never be any damage and so far every pipe I have sold has made it just fine. I try to make sure it takes the recipient at least 15 minutes to un wrap everything.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I'd much rather receive a pipe that is over wrapped/packaged than under packaged.
Completely agree - this was the first occasion that I felt something was certainly over-protected, so much to the point of breaking the thing. But this is one instance, most of my deliveries have been well packaged. Only one I got a partial refund for, when a chunk of a pipe stem broke off, but it still smokes well so i'm happy!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've seen it all, including just the pipe (together) in an empty envelope!
I always separate the stem and bowl, and put each piece in a small crystalline bag. Those two pieces get wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a stout box. I save a lot of the right boxes, we have a giant pile in the basement, same for bubble wrap.
The best I've seen is from Ebay seller "theSecondHandSmoker". He shrink wrapped the individual pipe pieces, wrapped in bubble wrap, and placed them in a generic pipe box. That pipe box was shrink wrapped and then bubble wrapped and placed in a sturdy box.
The masking tape is a good idea Sam, a lot easier to remove than packaging tape (what I used previously). Good tip!

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I have recieved many £1 pipes wrapped for a trip to the moon. Today I got a Dunhill bubble wrapped in an envelope.

Status
Not open for further replies.