PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Recently I purchased through eBay an estate Caminetto briar pipe from a seller in Italy. I have previously read horror stories by other buyers concerning pipes which they had purchased, and which the sellers shipped fully assembled resulting in the stems being broken off during shipping and handling. Accordingly, I e-mailed this seller and specifically requested that he separate the stem from the bowl, and package them separately. He responded that he would, and so I awaited the arrival of my prize.
Today when I went to my mailbox I found a clear plastic United States Postal Service bag inside of which were the remains of the "packaging" which this seller used to ship my pipe clear across the Atlantic ocean via the Italian and United States mail services. The "packaging" was a white paper envelope which I could easily tear with my hands! What was he thinking?!
My heart sank as I carried the remains into the house. Fearing the worst I then took a camera and proceeded to photograph, step by step, the unpacking in order to document the damage. The seller was good to his word, and the bowl and stem were packaged separately, each wrapped in tissue paper. Around them was wound a three-inch-wide strip of thin corrugated cardboard to make a bundle. This bundle was then wrapped in the thinnest bubble-wrap I have ever seen, secured with clear tape. By the grace of God the bowl and stem were unscathed, and by that same grace the seller dodged a bullet on this transaction.
The lesson for me was that from now on I will insist that sellers not only remove the stem from the bowl, and package each separately, but that they also ship the pipes in boxes designed to handle the rigors of the postal system.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I agree, all pipes I have recieved, both nationally and internationally have been separated and individually wrapped in tissue paper and bubble wrap then packed in a box with packing beans. I also insist that stems and bowls are separated and think it's common sense to do so

May 31, 2012
Accordingly, I e-mailed this seller and specifically requested that he separate the stem from the bowl, and package them separately.
At least you had the forethought to do that, and the seller agreed.
I failed to make that request when I bought a Finlay's Knobby from England and it arrived in a paper envelope complete with a broken tenon - sigh - I love the pipe and I'll pay to get it fixed, but the fix will cost more than the pipe!

It was only $7!

:cry:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
misterlowercase:
What slays me is that any seller would use a PAPER envelope for an overseas shipment of an oddly-shaped, hard item, especially (in the case of mine) at Christmas-time when postal volume is at its greatest!
As for your Finlay's Knobby, if you haven't already done so would you please post a picture of it? I would like to see what it looks like. Regarding the repair of its stem's tenon, I can personally recommend Mike Myers of Walker Briar Repair in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He fixed two of mine which were similarly broken, and I found his work to be outstanding.

May 31, 2012
I was astounded, floored, and deeply saddened to see what had happened!
Regarding the repair of its stem's tenon, I can personally recommend Mike Myers of Walker Briar Repair in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He fixed two of mine which were similarly broken, and I found his work to be outstanding.

That's the plan, along with a few other old gems that need some good lovin' !!!
I try to collect old oddball British blasts, so I was really excited about this one, and it is a very nice pipe - can't wait to enjoy it after repair.
This is the only pic I got at the moment:

jNPZ0JF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.