PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
As a remedy for a constantly burning tongue--yes, I know the simplest way around that problem is to simply stop smoking for a day or so, but that would be really hard for me to do--I thought of the Peterson P-lip smokers. Could those of you who have P-lips chime in with your experiences and recommendations? Thanks.

Aug 14, 2012
It just means you burn the roof of your mouth instead of your tongue. Kind of like the guy who complained that he hurt from constantly banging himself upside the head with a hammer, and reduced the head pain by alternately banging his big toe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you smoke hot and wet you can burn, p-lip or fish-tail. And, yes I have many a p-lip which get routinely smoked. I haven't experienced tongue burn in many, many years.
It's not the bit, it's the hot vapor. Slow down a bit and make sure you are packing the tobacco so that it doesn't burn too fast.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
It is a solution that I sometimes use. You can burn the roof of your mouth, but if your tongue is already raw that probably will sound like a better option at the moment.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I have two straight P lip Vauen's and really like them. Whenever I feel any pipe getting too bitey I just put it down for a minute to cool down. I've finally learned to never get in a hurry to taste that smoke.
tinner 8)

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I have 2 p-lips - both Petersons. A full-bent 314 and a straight 31. The guys above are right; it's the technique that needs to be corrected rather than the button design. Both are great smokers and you get a very firm, straight grip with a p-lip, but hot steam is hot steam; it will still scald no matter what form the hole from which it comes.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a reason the fishtail button is the default design throughout pipedom, but I own one P-lip and enjoy

smoking it, a Peterson Killarney Rhodesian 999. The pro is that it provides a slightly different experience and

taste-delivery, which is fine. The con is that I have to stick more of the pipe stem in my mouth to position it

correctly for a draw, which is annoying. I remedy tongue bite a different way -- slower cadence, dryer tobacco,

more non-aromatic than aromatic, and full strength non-arromatic and burleys which seem to give me decidedly

less trouble. I think the flavoring, additives, and added moisture in aromatics makes them much more prone to

tongue bite. Nothing like a nice flavoring of cinnamon to make your mouth burn all over.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"The con is that I have to stick more of the pipe stem in my mouth to position it correctly for a draw"
Mso is right, especially during the light.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Three p lips over here, I smoke them regularly. To me the real advantage is I never seem to get stray tobacco bits in my mouth, nor have I gotten tar juice on my tongue when I stuoidly forgot to clean it. Bent p lips can be a pain to clean though, but its still not as bad as say a churchwarden. I get burn very, very rarely and never in my p lips.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you for all your comments, gentlemen. You've enlightened me, and so I ask for some more illumination. I pack my pipe well without any problems, and my smoking technique is average and normally measured; this leads me to believe the trouble must be the aero tobaccos themselves I smoke (Lane Q1, Trout Stream, Sutliff), so that means I must at last expand my horizons to include the non-aeros and to ask for recommendations along those lines. That's a tall order: if it helps, my favorite Sutliff's are Molto Dolce, Mountain Pass, Charlemaigne, and the bulks I've already mentioned. So what is a good, flavorful, mild non-aero to start with? I've tried EMT and enjoyed that, but don't know much about the many others, so you might want to simply recommend generally popular flavors? Frog Morton? Etc. Thanks.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I bought a P-Lip years ago, and hated it so much I gave it to old buddy Tim, who never smoked it. Was a pretty billiard, too. sparrow, you know I smoke all day, too! I still have some tubs of non-aros, but I'm actually getting low. If you want though, I'd be happy to send you little sampler packs of each, so you could find out if you liked any. It would only be a few bowls of each variety though, so it might not be worth it to you, because you know what would have to happen before I could mail them, but I'd be happy to do it if you wanted. I'm talking:
Sutliff Bosphorus Cruise

C&D Epiphany

Sutliff Field Master

Peterson Connoisseur's Choice

Sutliff Kentucky Planter

4noggins Weybridge

Painter Hills

4noggins Lord Methley's

Esoterica Pembroke

Seattle Club Plum Pudding (just received from archy; you're only welcome to one bowl!)
And of course, the aros that I'm smoking when I run out of my favorite blends. (Lane's HG-2000, RPL-6, LL-7, Hazlenut and some other aros). Some of the ones I listed might be aros too, but I feel too lazy to look them up. The only ones I'm hoarding for me are the three Stokkebye flakes and the MacBaren Old Dark Fired - I've already given away most of them.
PM me if you want some sampler packs of what I have.
PS Just found a small baggie of Balkan Supreme in a tub of RLP-6. Balkan Supreme is good stuff. There will be one less MM General's worth in a few minutes :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm not much on suggesting blends. I will offer up that the more sugar in the blend the greater your chance of smoking "wet." Couple sugar with too dry a tobacco and you generate greater moist heat as the leaf burns faster and too much sugar melts at the same time. Every blend has a moisture level at which it smokes best. In my opinion, smoking "wet" is not the same as smoking "soggy." Soggy denotes to me tobacco that is to moist to begin with. Smoking wet occurs when too much sugar melts and creates an unacceptable degree of liquid. Soggy means a lot of relights, wet means moist and an uncomfortable level of heat. Both are a pain in the rear and one is a pain in the mouth.
It just takes practice and experimentation with all the varied factors which need to be balanced for a great smoking experience. I repeat, there is a learning curve to the pipe.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
My p-lip is a cheat.

I have a forever stem p-lip that fits my cob pipes.

Since it's sort of round and because of the location of the hole, I have to clench different.

But I'm used to it now, but I'm not sure if it helps as much as the slow sip.

Status
Not open for further replies.