PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Can anyone comment on the differences and/or similarities betweem P&W Rumcake and 515?

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Is is similar to MacBaren's Plumcake? That's one of my favorites and will have to try this one out if it is.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
I ordered Rumcake as part of a first time sampler, along with #191, #192. Carole also sent a sampler of Bleeker Street with my first order.
My first bowl of Rumcake I was ambivalent, and the other blends were pretty good aros.
But from my second smoke on, Rumcake has become my favorite of all the blends or tins I have tried so far, along with Sutliff's Molto Dulce. So far, I'm not a convert to the more tobbaco-y tasting blends as a frequent smoke. Maybe that will change with time.
I read most if not all of the reviews of the P&W tobaccos on tobaccoreviews.com, and most reviewers seem to agree that high quality tobaccos are used, and that Carole Burns is a skilled tobacconist.
In addition, she will change the tobacco blends to your preferences according to what I read in reviews, which most won't do for you. (I have not tried that yet, bearing in mind the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.") I don't know what the conditions may be for the adjustments, though.
P&W certainly has my recommendation for house blends, but there are as many palates out here as there are people on these forums, so bear that in mind. I'm seeing that it can be a bewildering search, if you base it on "recommendations," since some like a tobacco that others may not. The only thing I'm certain about is the uncertainty of it all. :D

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Glad to see other fans of P&W Rumcake. It is easily my favorite aro out there - the sad thing is, Carole's in VT - only about 20 mins from where I live, so I have to pay VT's very high tobacco tax.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
@roth - Thanks for adding the clarification on the customization. (Scanning the coast for the ship carrying barrels of rum...)

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Rumcake has a smell more liked baked goods, while 515 is more of a "rum" tobacco. I find Rumcake a much smoother, rounded tobacco, especially after it has aged a little while. The cavendish-based 515 is good, but not a favorite like Rumcake. Ironically, when I first smoked Rumcake, I hated it, but as I said, after it aged it changed A LOT! Now it's one of my favorite blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.