PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Anybody watching?
I've enjoyed Jason Bateman's comedic talents for years but I had no idea the guy had dramatic chops. The guy's good. Really good. Bateman plays a successful Chicago financial advisor working for a firm whose biggest customer is a south of the border drug cartel.
Long story short he ends up vacating the Windy City for the Lake of the Ozarks, in Central Missouri, under extreme duress to launder cartel monies. What's really compelling is that he takes his family on the lam with him. He's adjusting to finding out his his wife had an affair back in Chicago, his 10 year old son might be a borderline psychopath and that his daughter is a teenage daughter: vile, bilious and hateful as sin.
Trying to hold his family together Bateman's character trips across a murderous, trailer trash family his daughter befriends and partners up with a pair of the sweetest, stone cold killing, hillbilly pecker-woods you'd ever meet in your nightmares.
This series is so completely messed up. Bateman clings to these old fashioned social values while he washes drug money. But he values keeping his family together and you end up loving him for that reason alone. Yet, the bodies fall around him like a dove shoot.
You like dark comedy? Here you go.
And the Best Supporting Award goes to...? All you Al Pacino "Scarface" rats should remember Harris Yulin as Det. Mel Bernstein.
Mel Bernstein: Fuck. You can't shoot a cop!

Tony Montana: Whoever says you was one?

[Tony leans forward, aiming the gun at Bernstein]

Mel Bernstein: Wait a minute! You let me go, I'll fix this up.

Tony Montana: Sure, Mel. Maybe you can hand out yourself one of them first class tickets to the Resurrection.

Mel Bernstein: Fucking punk. Son of a bitch.

Tony Montana: [stands up] So long, Mel, have a good trip.

Mel Bernstein: Fuck you!
Yulin/Bernstein/Ozark lives in the basement of Bateman's house in "Ozark" and walks around naked carrying a towel/fishing pole/shotgun.
TV doesn't get much better than this.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We've watched three episodes so far. I'd give it a B+ and will continue. I'm probably not a big fan of dark comedy vs straight drama. Bateman is great and there has been some really great scenes. At times they take a leap of faith on the story line that isn't quite plausible. Batemen's talent definitely holds it all together and over the rough patches.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Another strong endorsement. Solid B+ and a completely different view of Bateman and of Mrs. Adams - er - Laura Linney.
Strong small role by Yulin.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fine acting, dark enough, comedic enough. No gratuitous nudity I recall (finished it three weeks ago) In spite of that, A- for me. And Yulin's nudity doesn't count....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Spoiler Alert! (first Ep only)
At times they take a leap of faith on the story line that isn't quite plausible.
Such as the "suicide leap" by Linney's lover? He was done in because...? Some small effort to help her?

Status
Not open for further replies.