PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Went with wife at small seafood village where Dad and I docked our shrimp boat to get some oysters, got a Half Gallon, 32.50$ , got home and didn"t even have 3 doz oysters, the liquor from the oysters was not salty, tasted like water, called the Head man at Pearl River Packing plant, he was very cordial and said we sell them by weight, I told him that must be some Diet oysters and when I buy a half gallon of oysters and don"t even get 3 doz he must be selling water, sad in this day and age anything to screw people, I don"t mind paying but I didn"t go there to buy water . The old cajun

Aug 1, 2012
I hate being shorted on anything so I get what you're saying. Shorting a product to make a buck is pretty low. It's not thinking long-term. They just lost a customer who would have happily come back if they were honest.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Pass the word around about that company cheating you to fellow neighbors and to others at your place of worship and hopefully soon the customers will stop going there. That will serve the owner right for cheating a customer.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My Dad and I never cheated anybody, if anything we went heavy on the count , some shrimpers sold more water than shrimp, we used to ice them down different than nowadays , bed of ice then thin bed of shrimp, nowadays they are floating in a brine mixture, if the heads are on you used to get .60 percent of your weight, 100 lbs with heads on you probably got 60 lbs of shrimp, nowadays if you get 50 percent you are doing great. Times have changed no pride anymore. The old cajun

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I know what you mean. We got a good oyster farmer up here in the Pacific Northwest where I live. They are really good about not selling you that oyster broth you were talkin about. I must say though I love how oysters taste different from different regions though.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
We used to go speckled trout fishing off of Grand Isle, spend the night on the boat , fish the close rigs at night, would break off early morning and I would dive for oysters at a small reef, get on boat , open them up, cold beer, salty oyster, Big French bread from Gambinos in New Orleans, pull out my camp stove and fry some specks on boat, this generation won"t know anything about that. The old cajun

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Agreed, Old Cajun. I've seen the problem quite a bit here of late, even in the city; and people make their bank on it without a blink. I worked on boats when I was younger. The captains sold from the boat most of the time, and not a one I worked with pulled any phony bologna.
The world is going nuts.

Jul 12, 2011
Sorry to hear brother...best time/experience I had was at Acme Oyster House in New Orleans...must of ate myself sick :twisted: I lost count after the 5th dozen served to me :wink:

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I dont eat oysters so I am trying to understand this. By a Gallon of Oysters, do you mean there is a big bucket of water with Oysters in it and they charge you by liquid volume? I would think they'd say "a dozen oysters are this much, 2 dozen are that much" regardless of how they're being stored at the moment.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I see this over, and over, and over again, and frankly it leave me with a pretty piss-poor opinion of my fellow man
Understand. I think people generally know when they're being ripped off and it happens so often in the service industry. My aunt had a computer guy charge her about $250 to "fix" her PC and even charged her extra to download software such as Google Earth, which A) She has no need for and B) Is free software to begin with and C) Didn't ask for.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Mike I know what you are talking about, I could have been a master mechanic, I can fix anything that has wheels or tracks, Son had a 96 high end Pathfinder, blew a head gasket, he is not mechanically minded, poached the engine I towed him in he was 20 miles from home, put it forvsale after all the mechanics quoted 10000$ and above for another engine. I"m too old to be diving in an engine compartment, hada bunch of Mexicans come to look at it, was trying to get 800$ fit it to give to my son, no good offer, one day I was talking to the janitor at the nurseing home where my wife does charity hairdressing work, he had an old pathfinder, wasn"t a big bucks man, told him come get it and pay me 500$ when you have it. He came fixed it, another engine from the junkyard for 1500$, a few months passed and he showed up with 500$, happy as a lark, pathfinder was 4 wheel drive, leather seats and a killer radio, shows just what you are saying, no honor anymore and getting worse. The old Cajun. PS if it had been mine I would have given him the damn car. The old cajun

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
hada bunch of Mexicans come to look at it,
HHH AAAAA HHHHAAAA :rofl: HHA AAA
I am seriously on the floor laughing so hard right now..... haaa..
(I happen to be a Mexican). :worship: :worship: :worship: to Cajun....

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Blue Points aren't too shabby, my fav, but I like em all.

Had a shrimper mix some of the smaller counts witht the larger ones once & I wasn't paying attention. Pissed of at my self more than anything, they were reputable & right off the boat.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Hey I lived in Browsville Texas when my father was a shrimper, made my big communion with a Big Mexican Charo, that"s cowboy for the people that don"t know, I am unfortunately not politically correct but I like all people, I"m a coonass, you"re a Mexican, what"s not to like about that, by the way, your people farm my Cane fields and was told you are the only farmer that brings us cokes ,bread my wife baked, thank you, just setting the record straight Zon. The old cajun :clap:

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I am unfortunately not politically correct but I like all people
I frankly think we need more people like you who just speak their mind and tell it like it is. You gave me a GIANT belly laugh this AM Old Cajun. I wish you were here in WA so I could buy you a beer or shot of Whisky. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.