PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I know this has been covered a million times, sorry but am confused. 50/50 water bleach or Oxy (which I know nothing about)

Sorry & thanks

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I've used straight bleach and oxy-clean, they both do the job. Neither will get rid of oxidation, it seems like they just pull it to the surface and make the rest of the treatment easier. Magic eraser and micro-mesh is where you make your money.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I use oxy-clean, I let the stem soak over night then wet sand the stem and then move onto the polishing wheels. Bleach I've never used it before.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Fisher, you don't do any soak? Just start with wet sanding?
That is correct mate. I tried bleach once and didn't like it. It takes me about 2-4 hours to gloss a stem up by wet sanding. I start with 1000 grit, then 1500, then 3000. I have has some real doozies too. Severe, horrible oxidation.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Hmm, I've been wondering about removing the soak step. I think I might give that a try on one and see how it goes. Thanks my friend!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You have to have a lot of patience mate. I cut a sheet of wet paper in about 6 squares and use a square each time. Starting with 1000 grit. I take an ice cream container and put 2 inches of hot tap water in it and toss the stem and wet paper in. I start rubbing the stem untill it is showing black.(about 1/2 hour.) Use clean water, take a new piece of 1000 grit and repeat. Then switch to 1500 and repeat. Then to 3000 and repeat. I find it very important to keep the water clean.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
With all do respect to Walker Briar Works I feel as though they are wrong. I use a combination of oxiclean and micromesh. Works great for me and removes the oxiclean very well. No taste afterwards either. I used barkeeper's friend for a while and it worked well also but took much longer. I also don't soak the stem longer than an hour and a half in oxiclean.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I would consider oxiclean a cleaner but not a bleach as you said. The post above says not to use a cleaner.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
And after literally hundreds of stems,I've never had a problem with bleach..

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Oxiclean can be a fine cleaner, some care might need to be taken with its use on aluminum, and you can certainly sanitize with a dilute quantity of bleach. Some feel they can go no rinse and not taste it in their beer. I use StarSan to avoid that and...
WAIT
Sorry, thought I'd wandered into a homebrewing discussion!! :P

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
The Walker stem restore kit is a god send. Throwing a stem into bleach just doesn't sit right with me and I'll definitely use the Walker kit from here on out. I have used the Magic Eraser but it took the paint off the stamped stem marking :(

Status
Not open for further replies.