PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I see Oxy-Clean mentioned a lot for stem cleaning. I thought I would pick some up at the store; but I saw some for laundry and some for dishes. Which do you use, or more likely, am I looking at the wrong product?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The stuff I used was the laundry version.
EDIT: I think it just said Oxi-clean Versatile on the tub it came in.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I've gone through two oxi clean containers in 4 years. I'll everything I use it I think it's bull shit and can uses any other kind of detergent. So I call bullshit. There. My Spanglish should clear any doubt .

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
You cant use joke and serioulsy together in the same idea - just isn't allowed. ;)
But yeah, oxiclean is supposed to remove the green oxidation from vulcanite stems.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Once you get them all shined up, put a tiny bit of chap stik on them an you'll never have a problem again. "unflavored"

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Oxiclean doesn't actually remove any oxidation from a vulcanite stem.
Vulcanite is a composite material made from natural rubber impregnated with sulfur. It's the sulfur component of the material that becomes oxidized by light, heat, and oxygen and forms the green/gray discoloration on the surface of pipe stems. Most of the time this discoloration is due to only partially oxidized sulfur.
Partially oxidized sulfur can be stubborn and hard to remove from the surface of a stem. The reason for using oxiclean (as well as heat, bleach, or any of the other methods that get talked about) is to finish oxidizing the surface sulfur. Once the sulfur is fully oxidized it becomes softer and is easier to remove through mild abrasion (magic eraser, micromesh, soft scrub, bar keeper's friend, etc.).
Don't think of oxiclean as the primary removal agent. Rather think of it as a surface prep prior to removal of the oxidation.
Bleach has traditionally been used and is very effective. The problem with bleach is that it is also very harsh and will also attack stem logos as well as any metals that are part of stem construction. Oxiclean is a much milder form of oxidizing agent that solves some of the problems that bleach can present. This is why it has become a more popular method recently than chlorine bleach. The downside is that it's also less effective and doesn't work nearly as well as bleach for quick oxidation of surface sulfur. It's a bit of a trade-off, a less destructive method but requires more "elbow grease" to get the desired effect.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for the info guys! I also learned that I should use water with the micro mesh pads - I haven't done that yet

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice explanation, torque. My curiosity is raised: Is there an actual difference between the two "types" of Oxi Clean? The label sure doesn't say anything but "no chlorine".

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Honest answer is, I don't know. I haven't really seen that much difference in how they perform. I've always just considered them to be different forms for different purposes (cloths, dishwashing, etc.). Basically the ingredients produce hydrogen peroxide when mixed with water. I've never soaked a vulcanite stem in peroxide, but I suspect the results would be similar to using oxiclean, at least for our purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.