PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

columbialion

Lurker
Apr 29, 2012
I've recently found my old collection (1970's) which had been MIA in storage for quite some time. Can anybody advise me on the best method to remove oxidation from the stems. I've read that everything from alcohol to auto rubbing compound can be used. Some guidance would be much appreciated.

Jul 15, 2011
*ahem* It appears that a rather witty and worldly fellow has written a very extensive article on how to do this very thing, and more importantly. how to do it without the use of a buffing wheel.
Pipe Stem Restoration

Jul 15, 2011
Why thank you. As I have stated before, my method is 100% chemically safe, relatively easy, relatively quick, and does not require the use of a buffer.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Wow that was awesome...going to do this over the weekend if I can find some oxyclean. I am in pipe cleaning mode lately and have a few right now getting the cotton ball/alcohol treatment. Now I can clean up their stems as well. Great article. Thanks for sharing bro.

Jul 15, 2011
My pleasure. Of course, if you have a buffing wheel, you should by all means use it. I do not have the money nor the space for such a setup though, so I found this is what works best for me.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Is is going to be a huge help as I have quite a few estates I have bought recently.

Can micro mesh be bought at Home Depot or Rona?

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
If we were to use the demo stem as a worse case example, how much time total did you spend on it?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Your best bet for Micro Mesh is a wood working or hobby shop. From what I remember, you are Canadian, so you should have a Lee Valley store near by. They have quite the assortment of Micro Mesh pads, discs, belts and what not.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I have been experimenting with WESTLEY'S' BLECHE-WITE, a whitewall tire cleaner (2.99 at ACE). The chem. notes don't seem any worse than OxyClean. It works quickly and I have had less roughing up of the stem than I have through OxyClean. The results have been great. I just used it on a totally yucked and oxidized stem and it did the trick. I'll try to keep y'all posted.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I believe the closest Lee Valley to Mr. Barkar is in Scarborough. Definitely worth a trip if you're looking for specialty woodworking supplies and even just for fun for all the cool things. I know that when I went there were things I didn't even know I needed but I sure do want them now! Hah but a bit of a trip.

Try the automobile department at Canadian Tire or any specialty auto place they typically have the super fine grits and should have what you're looking for.

Jul 15, 2011
If we were to use the demo stem as a worse case example, how much time total did you spend on it?
I said in the article that I let the stem soak for an hour, and the grim truth behind that is that I put it in to soak and forgot about it. Most soaks will do their job in 15 minutes. After that, you are going to spend about 10 minutes with the magic eraser. Each grade of Micromesh should take about 5 minutes of elbow grease to get them where they need to be. That makes 40-45 minutes of work. If you take into account the Obsidian treatment, that will take another half hour, but that is a passive process. Just smear on and do something to kill the time, i.e., smoke your pipe, make a ham sandwich, take a shower, etc.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@Pipe Novelist,,,,thanks, that really is a simplified system you have shared with us and the time required isn't demanding at all. I have everything I need except the micro mesh and I hope to get that tomorrow and after that I will report back on how my first restore worked out.
Thanks again for providing us with your tutorial.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a thread on micromesh vendor:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/micro-mesh-sanding-pads#post-117523
After posting this, I also found Rockler Woodworking carries the sheets and has reasonable pricing.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6461&site=ROCKLER

Status
Not open for further replies.