PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
6 months Padawan, still new, still discovering, always learning.
In many of the tins I've tried (Dunhill Standard Mixture and Planta Presbyterian Mixture come to mind) there's a strong tin note, almost exactly like that of overripe fruit. Don't really know why, but I love it.
My question is, what type of tobacco gives this sour and sweet aroma?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Interesting. Overripe fruit is something that comes to mind when I smell a tin heavy with Perique (fig, dates, prunes, plum, along with a whiff of putrescence), or red Virginia's.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm with Bigpond on this, I too mostly get ripe fruit coming from VaPers, particularly St. James Flake, that is powerfully over ripe fruit in the tin...however it is more peppery in the bowl :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Must be latakia, or virginia.

There's no perique in the tins I've mentioned.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
In most of the Latakia blends, Latakia scent is going to overshadow Virginias, unless the ratios are in an extreme favor of Virginias, or we have some specifically scented blend/Virginia, Mcclellands vinegar and Gawith's Lakelands being an example.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"There's no perique in the tins I've mentioned."
With all due respect Sir, your original question was..
"My question is, what type of tobacco gives this sour and sweet aroma?"
...and it is that question folks have attempted to address for you.
Regards,
Jay.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Please don't get me wrong, I welcome every answer. I've stated before, this might very well be the best forum.

English is not my primary language, so maybe I gave the wrong impression.

What I meant to say is that, given all those options, based on my recent experience, the right answer is latakia. All the extra knowledge is very appreciated.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Interesting. Overripe fruit is something that comes to mind when I smell a tin heavy with Perique (fig, dates, prunes, plum, along with a whiff of putrescence), or red Virginia's.- bigpond"
I reckon everyone's sniffer is also caught up the the chemical makeup thing. I'm totally with bigpond on what smells like over ripe fruit. And that's not even close to what Latakia smells like to me (leathery and burning tires).

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
Interesting how many different answers come up. Personally anything heavy with Virginia gives me a stewed fruit/figs/wine type smell while Latakia heavy gives me a campfire or old leather book smell. Just the other day I tried to show my brother McClelland's Wilderness and all I could get from him was "Blech! Smells rancid" upon smelling it. His friend smelled it and said it was like fresh cherries. Clearly some huge variations in perception as to me it smells like a jar of hazelnut Nutella.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Everyone else is right... about the naturally occurring sweetness etc...
But...
There is actually an Aromatic tobacco infused with that flavor... it's from Planta and it's called: "Something Different."
It's flavored with the Marula fruit... (google drunk elephants).
I was really into this tobacco last summer. You can get it from "Just for Him."

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
You should get some blending tobaccos, and try them straight. It really helps identify what you are smoking.

For me, Cyprian Latakia has a floral fruitiness under the smokiness; and perique has a musty, mushroomy, stewed fruit note. The darker virginias also have a plummy fruit note sometimes, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.