Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I thought I would indulge in some rarities. However, all I can think about is how these are both overrated. Although they are good, I won't be seeking either anytime soon.

20160108_184407.jpg

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
+1, Zach.

I was gifted an ounce of Penzance a couple years ago. Though it was good, I found that there are many others I thought as good and even better.

Over rated and hyped up is what I think.
To each their own though, If you like it and don't mind jumping through hoops, more power to you.
If it were readily available and sold at a decent (my idea of decent) price, I'd buy it.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Also +1...was also gifted some Penzance and it is good, but not worth the hunt.. I'm going to assume the other is some sort of beer?? Just give me plain ol beer, Pabst for me please!

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Agree with you there Doc, gimme a plain beer also.

I've been on a Genesee kick as of late.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, actually, if I hate to smell it I usually like smoking it. :wink:
Don't know why, but foul smelling tobaccos in the tin usually taste great to me when smoldering in my pipe.
As for the overrated/underrated stuff - I actually don't believe there is such a thing as either when it comes to tobacco. The ones who are not enamored with Blend-X that many others love, call it overrated. Those who love a blend that many others hate call the blend underrated.
Everyone has a personal chemical makeup that helps define whether they like or dislike a particular blend. Just like foods that we eat. I wouldn't touch beets with a 10-foot pole, but my wife loves those nasty things. Go figure.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well said pipestud and I agree completely. I think Penzance is excellent and will buy it when the rare opportunity presents itself but I won't go out of my way to acquire it. However I'm like that with most things in life that I enjoy. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I fall into the overrated camp too. It and Stonehaven. I'm more of a Margate and And So To Bed fan.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Smoking a pipe is good... Smoking Prince Albert out of a corn cob is really good. Smoking a grail tobacco out of a piece of rare and choice briar that was crafted into a masterpiece can be really really good.
It's best to temper expectations. I'm sure you know this already.
I have acquired 5 new beautiful pipes since Black Friday and I have acquired some highly rated tobaccos. Thanks to a forum member, I scored some Blackpool, which I like a lot.
Yet, I'm afraid to let go of the anticipation of smoking these new pipes and cracking the seals on these new tobaccos. I don't want to be let down... So, I keep burning through Missouri Meerschaums and my regular rotation of tobaccos.
I tell myself when the mood strikes me, I'll fill a new pipe with a new blend. I know I will. I'm not a collector... This "hobby" is about the smoking, not the toys I keep promising myself.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The problem happens when something is perceived to be greater than, in reality, it can possibly be. Penzance, Stonehaven, Balkan Sobranie, and a few other blends get referred to in ways that go beyond the simple reality that they're just tobacco blends, not supernatural artifacts that appeared within a flaming bush, and thus objects to be worshiped.
So when the subject of myriad reported heavenly miracles is found to be of this earth, people call it overrated, because it is. Not the fault of the blend. It's just tobacco, not the Second Coming.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well I don't know what that beer? is, but I have smoked Penzance. I feel that it is a little overrated, and certainly over priced! It's a nice smoke, but there are tobaccos that I like more. As for beer, I used to drink a lot of it in years past, but now have little taste for it. I'd much rather drink some good Islay Scotch, Bourbon, Rum or Tequila! But hey, that's just me.... :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried the sacred stuff, so I shouldn't comment at all. Part of enjoying a tobacco for me is that it is both intensely tasty to me, but also that it is available. Part of the bond with the consumer in offering a product is that it will be at least somewhat available. I guess too much of a quest for a blend takes away from the pleasure, for me. The idea that I am enjoying it, and other people can't get it, or have to work and wait for months, doesn't do a thing for me. Just my wacky take.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
So I walk into my local bm buy a few cigars and the rep says hey you want this penance? Sitting their on the shelf in plain view an 8 oz bag. I really didn't want anymore Since these guys have sold me aprox 10 pounds of penzance and stonehaven over the last few years. Wanted someone else to get it but he said it's been sitting there for 2 weeks .They've always held some for me since Im a good customer and buy them cigars when I'm there etc. point being its available if you work at it a bit. I was just struck that it's was there all by its lonesome like all the mclelland. I bought it since they are always helpful etc. I left with the hope and expectation that it's been so maligned that market forces are in action to bring it back to earth like FVF was a few years ago and we can all move on.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
20160108_184407.jpg

Well you should always pour the beer out into a glass before making a proper judgment. It does wonders for alot of beers. If I try a sip of Piraat from the bottle, it tastes like crap, if I pour it out, it's bliss. As for the penzance is you aren't smoking a 20 year old tin, of course it's going to be over rated.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
20160108_225007.jpg

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but that's what the can says :P
Dont get me wrong, I'm a big fan of other esoterica blends, I just don't get this one. One less buyer = more penzance for those who do like it

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
When I first joined this forum years ago, the Esoterica blends were fairly plentiful... I remember this being in big demand and hard to get:
http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=612&zenid=336565b34a10150bb6995a3ecd48284e
Short cut to mushrooms!

I remember getting my hands on two ounces and enjoying it quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.