PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodookobra

Lurker
May 4, 2014
I tried doing a search but found nothing, I have a pouch of tobacco that is very dry and I want to moisten it a bit. What is the best method? Here are a couple of the ideas my brother and I thought of.
Wetting a paper towel with Rum or another liquid then putting it and the pouch in a sealed baggie, or putting the contents of the pouch into a glass jar and use needle nose pliers to put a shot glass of liquid in with the tobacco.
Any other ideas that may be easier?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
The method I use, is for the smaller baggies of about an ounce of tobacco. Get a 1 gallon Ziplock freezer bag, and a soak a wet paper towel with filtered water. Squeeze the paper towel out so it's not sopping wet...but it still retains a good amount of water.
Open the Gallon ziplock bag, and unfold the paper towel and make a sort of a rectangle and place it at the bottom of the gallon ziplock bag...just to create a "bottom" so to speak. Now take the smaller zipbag and open it..and push the opposite ends to together so it kinda stays open by it self....and then place it into the larger ziplock bag. You're basically making a ziplock humidor for the smaller bag of tobacco.
Close the larger ziplock bag with the smaller (open bag of tobacco) in there, and leave it somewhere for a few days. Check on the moisture level of the tobacco in 12 to 24 hour increments, you may have to re-wet the paper towel depending on how much moisture the tobacco absorbs.
I'm not a fan of putting anything in direct contact with the tobacco, and this method has worked for me very well.
You can use whatever is holding your tobacco, as long as it fits in the larger ziplock bag.

Aug 14, 2012
Get a humidor or Tupperware type container with a top. Put the tobacco in it with either a wet sponge (not touching the tobacco) or a small glass of water. Mix the tobacco and re-wet the sponge every day until it is right for you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another suggestion. Before you hydrate the tobacco, try a small or partial bowl. Some tobaccos

smoke as well or better when dry to the touch than they do when they feel moist. If it's bad dry,

just throw it out and use one of the methods in the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.