PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stopped by my local independent pipe shop Pipes by George, visited with George himself, and bought a few necessaries. I conferred with George and his experienced assistant to see if they had on hand a small fiber gasket that came off my new-to-me meer as I was cleaning it. (Thanks to fish' for this beautiful pipe.) George didn't have the gasket, but we discussed how an appropriate one could be improvised from our favorite hardware store or made from craft materials. I had a bit of fun when the assistant was horrified/hugely amused to hear I had used water to clean the bowl. Having it on good authority from Forums that this is acceptable, I didn't bat an eye, and neither did George, so the assistant ceased his protest. No gloating here; these questions are deeply considered here and at the pipe shop; so it goes. I bought two packs of pipe cleaners and an ounce of Sutliff Red Virginia to try, with advice from George on sipping, not puffing, this blend. We both briefly mourned the passing of McClellands with specific reference to their red Virginia. George said the gentrifying of his neighborhood has boosted business but made parking difficult. We both commented on how lucky I was to grab a spot right in front. I took along a Jobey pipe I'd bought from him a few years ago ... maybe more than a few. Good visit, and George looked great, rested and healthy. Long may be prevail. I could have taken in several pipes from Pipes by George, but maybe another time. The independent pipe shop is a rare and beautiful place, a moment in history, and solace in an often rugged and foolish world. P.S. The pipe smokes great without the gasket.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This OP was not much of a conversation starter. What was your last visit to a brick-and-mortar and how did you like it? Good experience, bad experience, will the shop stay open? I'll bump this then leave it alone.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
I stop into mine every couple of weeks to see what new things have come in. I like to peruse the estate pipes as well. Still haven't bought any from the B&M but alway fun to look. My experiences are definitely a good sort and think they establishments are going strong. Since I'm new to this sport, I like to try many types of tobacco so I hope my two stops don't go away because I think I'm learning a lot from them. There does seem to be a resurgence in people buying pipe tobacco. One of my stops has really ramped up their selection due to the increased interest. This particular store is also a craft beer store so that helps me kill two birds with one stone.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
When I'm in Canada, my town is Victoria B.C. On Fort Street, there's a shop called... Cuban Cigar Shop. Maybe that's not the name? I think it is. I never really looked, but there is a sign that says Cuban Cigars.
Anyway, he carries a selection of pipes and tobacco that is pretty good. However, the real prize, obviously, is Cuban cigars. He's got rare editions of cigars and it is the go to shop for anyone serious about them. For example, you can pick up a Russian edition of a Bolivar cigar there. He even had the Brazilian edition for a short time, if memory serves. You have to pay Canadian prices, so they're not cheap with the taxes, but I always found it a stand out experience. The owner is always there, sometimes with his wife. Nice guy.
There's a couple of other shops, including one historic one on the tourist strip, but I don't like that one much. One day, I was talking with a sales guy and asked if he had any recommendations, just to start some conversation. He says "No, because I don't smoke."
He was the owner's son, apparently.
A few months later, I stopped in and saw a box of cigars completely covered in mold, and spreading. Fluffy white, green and grey mold. I pointed it out to another sales guy, who then offered me a substantial discount on that very box of cigars. I couldn't believe it, and told him they were better off in the trash, to which he just shrugged and left them in there. This was a place with a fairly large humidor.
I haven't been back. But, Cuban Cigars on Fort is well worth a visit if you're ever in Victoria. Knowledgable guy with a good selection of pipe tobacco as well.
In Sao Paulo, Brazil, I got to Tabacaria Nacional in Moema. They used to have a good selection of imported pipe tobacco, at inflated prices, but stopped carrying them. Don't have much cause to go there now. But they were also good for cigars and Brazilian burly based aromatics if that's your thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
unadopted', amazing about the moldy cigar store. I don't think I'd want to buy anything there. Anyone been to J&R Cigars lately? Too long a haul for me, and I'd rather give my business to my local independent, but I'm interested. They've changed a lot I hear, since my visit a few years ago.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Here's a picture of the mouldy tobacconist. It's on a strip close to where the cruise ships dock, so loads of Americans disembark, walk up and see Cuban cigars... and go nuts. The humidor is in the back left of the picture, with lesser quality cigars in the glass cases on the right.
To be fair, one interesting feature is that white marble column in the centre of the shop. On either side is a permanent gas flame for you to light your cigar. Of course, that's verboden now that you can't smoke indoors in Canada, even in a tobacconist, but last time I was there they kept it lit. They say it is a rarity. I've never seen another.
462df051fd0822bb0952b062eabb13d2.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Here's the inside of the shop on Fort Street with the outstanding service.
cuban-cigar-shop-4.jpg

Picture of the owner on the left ringing someone up. Very good salesperson. Never tries to ram anything down your throat and he knows his business. Pipes, pipe tobacco, cigars, you name it. Lets me go in with my kid, despite the crazy restriction of having to be 18 years old. He's an old school character and I like him.
ls.jpg

Online sales are good, but when you're looking for hard to find things, it's tough to beat places like this.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoa. It certainly has a spectacular look. With the mold problem, I was thinking of an old head shop with a few tobacco products, but visually this is beautiful, and the guy sounds real old school. I guess he just overlooks a little mold now and then. Photogenically, this is the pipe shop of my dreams. On a ship no less; what could be better.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
The two pictures on the bottom are from a stellar shop. No mold there. That guy would toss them out before a customer ever walked through the door.
The single picture above, with the column in the middle that has a light and the flames to fire up your cigar is the moldy place. And it's the one that the tourists go to because it's right there on the walking strip.
For the good cigars, you have to trek another 4 blocks or so. He doesn't cater to tourists so much, I don't think.
Last time I passed by the moldy cigar store, it looked more like a kitsch shop than anything. The kind where they sell the chess sets with odd designs, glass bowls, etc. They still have cigars, no doubt, but it's not a real tobacconist anymore. It's historic, and the oldest one in town, but with the new owners, hardly worth a visit.
When that kid told me he couldn't recommend something because "I don't smoke" with pride, like I was daft for even being in a tobacconist, it was nearly the final straw. Going in the next time and seeing a box of cigars with mold literally pillowing out from the sides was horrific. My brain just could not compute how it was possible to have flesh and blood employees in the store, sharing the same space as that box. If I had owned the place, I would have blown a gasket. I don't know how long it takes for mold to spread like that, but it must be more than a day or two. I nearly cried.
Wish I had taken a picture. It was incredible.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Great pics, and certainly fancier than the tobacconists I visit here in Toronto. I was just in one the other day and picked up a tin of Samuel Gawith Grousemoor. Mmmmm, think I'll load up a bowl right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.