PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I bought 3 pipes on ebay that were in real good shape except it looks as though the bowls were reamed with a steak knife. Is there a good way to go about fixing this? I was thinking a dremmel with a sanding cylinder but that seems kind of dangerous.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I use a variable Dremel "Stylus" when needed, to remove cake if necessary. Use low speed, work carefully and start with a moderately "fine" sleeve. Watch the depth as the screw will most likely do a bit of damage. At some point you will need a knife and great patience if you need to work the bottom of the bowl.
The bowl on the right looks to be thin as it is. I'd be inclined to simply accept the deformity, all things considered, on that one. Particularly if the pipe is for personal use and not resale.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I would return them under either the seller's return policy or the eBay Money Back Guarantee. I have reworked some bowls that had been improperly reamed, but none were as flawed as these. I am sorry you have to deal with this disappointment.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks for the input. They're late-60s kaywoodies. I got them under 10 a pipe with shipping. I might just clean em up and re-list them as is. I'm sure they still smoke ok. This is why I always take a top down picture of a pipe when I sell it. You know exactly what your getting.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
$10 per pipe is in my opinion too much for late-60s Kaywoodies with this kind of damage. I doubt you will get your money back out of them unless you return them to the seller.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The one on the right is bad. The other two appear fixable. A Dremel can make things worse in a hurry. Don't do that. Fold up apiece of 220 grit sand paper to fit and carefully sand around the inner bowl rim. Stop often and wipe it off to check your work. Just getting rid of the jagged edges will be a big improvement. Even if you can't make it perfectly even, once the pipe is smoked and the rim is blackened some it will be a lot less noticeable.

I say the right one is bad because to make it even, you will end up with a really thin rim. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Xrundog,
I did what you suggested and it made the pipes look much better. They aren't perfectly even but better then they were. I agree with a blackened rim and new cake it'll blend pretty well.
Thanks!

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Cosmicfolklore that would make a killer shirt! It reminds me of the bowling shirt I just got. It says F'n 10 pin. I thought it was funny as hell

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I have the same issue, bought a few lots off eBay from the same seller... sold off the husbands pipes (hopefully he knew about it) and nice pipes. All look to have been well cared for. I knew about the tooth damage on the stem (guy REALLY bit down on these bits) but what I didn't expect was inside the bowl.
Seems fine at first glance, but about half-way down there are some good deep gouges. Maybe used a knife with a curved tip?
Proper reaming helped... but now debating my next move. I saw on RebornPipes for cracks he used JBWeld, but, 50/50 on that idea. Apparently when cured it's non-toxic, but, from what I've read, pipes hit a peak sometimes of around 650C degrees and JBWEld I think is only good for something like 400C with a peak of 500C?
Found this thread actually looking for ideas. :D

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Cracks are something entirely different. Gouges won't make the pipe fall apart. Well, probably not anyway. Gouges in the bowl have two fixes.

1. Pipe mud. ashes and water. Mix to paste, apply with a popsicle stick or something. Neatness does not count as it will soon be covered with ash and cake. Let dry, smoke the pipe.

2. Smoke the pipe and let it cake up. Later, even the cake.
I like #2. But I can't see the gouges to really say.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A small cohort of Forums members, including me, wipe out bowls after every smoke, retaining a good carbon layer but not building cake. This maintains bowls in the round into the third and forth decade. For resto men, reamers have their place. But I have never owned a reamer and sort of regard them as not so much a smoker's friend. I understand most pipe smokers value reamers and take the time to learn to use them, cautiously and carefully on the pipes they smoke, but it appears that they are far too much fun for the beginner to use, and do a lot of damage to many pipes. The photo with this post being exhibit A. It would put me on a bad mood to regularly smoke pipes so gleefully abused. Let's not look at the scorching on some of my rims, which seems to me just affectionate wear.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Use the paper towel method it works . But for those pipes try these or something like them . http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/flap-sanding-wheels-mounted-flap-sanding-wheels-1-4-inch-shank-1-inch-diameter.html

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
A proper sized dowel rod with 220 grit paper mounted in a lathe running at slow steady speed with little pressure will make them round, if you've a bit of handiness. It won't get rid of the over-reaming ( briar doesn't grow back ) but it will make the pipes a little easier on the eye.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
On cases like these I have used a cone shaped abrasive wheel in a drill press. Use a slow speed and fix the height of the drill. You can produce a slightly beveled inner edge which will soften the out of round. Just lift the bowl into the spinning cone carefully checking the progress often. Take only what you need to. I had a pipe that looked like it had been reamed with a chainsaw and it fixed the problem. You will have to re-stain But it works.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks Gloucesterman! I was actually thinking about reboring the two I have left when I get caught up at work. This sounds like a better Idea though. Either way It'll have to wait until I'm caught up and have free use of the equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.