Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Oval Tobacco Chamber Questions

(7 posts)
  1. sergemoat

sergemoat

Login to Send PM

Does anyone around here have or smoke pipes with an oval bowl? What are your thoughts on them? Do they build cake evenly?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Drilling a round hole is easy. Drilling an oval hole involves drilling two holes very close to each other. It sounds difficult. I can't imagine why anyone would want to make a pipe like this. The odds of destroying the briar blank are very high. Also, what would be the advantage, other than having a larger tobacco chamber? Just grab a larger drill bit. I don't see why the cake would build differently, if there was an oval bowl.

Now if you are talking about the outside of the pipe, then no problem. You can make the outside any shape you want. This would not have any affect on the thermodynamics of smoking or building cake.

Winton

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikestanley

mikestanley

Login to Send PM

They are known as Opera pipes. They are designed to fit less obtrusively in one's jacket pocket than a round bowled briar. I have a couple of old Wilke's and an unsmoked Longchamp Opera pipe. The Wilke's were well smoked and heavily caked when I bought them. I cleaned up the cake with my Dremel and then with sand paper and a pencil. They were evenly caked, cleaned up well and still provide good smoked. Fear not the oval bowl IMHO.

Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Opera pipes were very popular in the past. Most are pocketable nose warmers. They fell out of favor long ago because the oval chambers did not burn well in many cases. If you like Opera pipes the good news is that they are not in demand so estate prices are pretty much at rock bottom.
    Castello still produces some opera pipes from time to time but while the exterior of the pipe is oval the bowl is drilled round for a better smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always been intrigued by these. I saw a few at the Chattanooga show, but I didn't pull the trigger.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two pocket pipes withe oval bowls. They smoke & cake OK for me when I use them. My only issue is tamping. I have never got around to making the perfect tamper for the bowls. I use two tampers, one regular and one smaller for the narrow ends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an old Streamliner Oval Shape Pipe, I did not know that they were referred to as Opera Pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   weezell, ssjones, anthonyrosenthal74, trailboss, boilermakerandy, ivapewithfire, antbauers, pipebaum81, elpfeife, rsuninv, captpat, insecticide26, robin, texmexpipe, lincolnsbark, phil67, winton, salcheech, teufelhund, buzkirk, lawmax3, gigger48, dmcmtk, frank13, pipebow88, laytonpipes, carytobacco, kf4bsb