PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I think I've mentioned this here before.As I've gotten older I don't have quite the sensation in my hands that I once had.Some times without realizing it I hold my pipe by the shank.If I let a pipe with a round shank get just a bit loose it will flip upside down dumping ashes.It's happened more than once.I don't have this problem with oval shanks.I have five of them.They are becoming my best friends.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I love the Canadian! One of my Signature Savinelli pipes has an oval shank and I really do enjoy the feel of it in my hand. Smokes really well also haha :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Secure a length of toothpick to the shank with two rubber bands or some string. Anything that makes the shank irregular or textural may work -- like a sleeve made from latex finger cots.

31191708157_450x450_a.jpg

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I find myself holding the shank of my pipes with a cigar like, or even closed pool cue grip sometimes. This is modified by resting my thumb pad on the bottom of the stem. I think it could still pose problems with a weak grip - and conversely - if to firm, could apply a bit of unwanted pressure against the stem/tenon area, however it is really comfortable! This tends to work best on straight pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.