PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Love to fly fish? I do, so I’m always on the lookout for packable pipe set ups. One that can easily fit in with my gear because the best fishing water is just beyond where most people stop which translates into a lengthy hike. There’s no slipping back to the Jeep for a quick smoke, you either have it with you or you don’t get that smoke. I think I’ve finally found the right set up. It fits easily into the side pocket of most fishing packs, it has everything you need all in one package and it’s rugged and water repellant.

It starts with the roll up. The one I use is made by Bradley Mountain (http://www.bradleymountain.com/collections/our-products/products/pipe-roll-brush-brown) and sells for $44. It’s made of heavy weight waxed canvas and has pockets for your pipe(s), a tobacco pouch, lighter, pipe tool and rolls up to about the size of a large fly wallet.

To go with the roll you need a small pipe. Now by small I mean compact not little. I like a pipe with a decent sized tobacco chamber and one that is comfortable to clench when you’re changing flies or performing some other task that calls for both hands. Chris Morgan has recently come out with a line of just that kind of pipe. They feature a good sized bowl but are short, compact and rugged. The finish is black sandblast so they aren’t easily marred by life in the outdoors. I picked the Pit Bull which is also a reverse calabash design. It’s short enough to fit into your shirt pocket with nothing sticking out to catch on things or to have things catch on it. (http://www.morganpipes.com/store/c2/BlackJack_pipes.html). Before finding these new Chris Morgan pipes I used GBD French Made Bent Rhodesians (9438). They are about a half inch longer but have that same rugged construction and configuration. The GBD Rhodies have always been one of my favorite pipes but for this application the Black Jack series are hard to beat.

For tobacco I use a nylon tri-fold. It simple, sturdy and inexpensive but does the job well. It will hold enough tobacco to last all day. Leather is classy and nice to the touch but in the damp environments of the stream I think the nylon works better. It repels moisture rather than absorb it and if it does get wet it will dry quickly. Throw in a good lighter and a pipe tool and you’ve got it all. For the outdoors, a Zippo Pipe lighter is hard to beat and Czech tool and a few pipe cleaners covers about any need you might have. Best of all, everything is in one place, no searching for anything. I’ve tried a lot of things over the years and never really been satisfied with any of them. I put this package together several years ago for a trip to Alaska and it’s been part of my gear ever since. Works for me, hope it will work for you too.

Ps. The second pipe pictured is a Larrysson I found on line. It’s almost the same dimensions as the Morgan and the two store well when slid into the pocket one stem up and one down. It’s nice to have that second pipe when you’re going to be out for a couple of days.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Wow, nice setup all around. Looks like it would be good for more than just fishing, though. Seems versatile enough to travel well anywhere.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Thanks for the reference; I just bought one in Field Tan with the brown strap. In the summer, I go to a LOT of car shows and this is perfect to carry a rig. I really like the vintage design, and how it resembles an early 20's mechanics tool roll.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Looks good. I like to stow everything in separate ziplock bags when canoeing or fishing, but that set up looks great.
I have always wanted to learn to fly fish. I fish mostly bass and cappie but get mostly bream. [:puffy:]
Catching bream on a fly is a lot of fun, works great when they are spawning.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I travel a lot into the Alaska backcountry with my pipes, going to have to try this kit. Currently, I use a small pelican case, but could do with a lighter kit for longer trips under human power that could fit in my pack.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a real nice set up. Holds everything you need and looks very outdoorsy. :puffy:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Waxed Canvas has been around for hundreds of years and for good reason. It's tough, water repellent and nearly indestructible. The package you see here has seen a number of years of hard use and still looks good. I'm not one of those "preservationists" (the old way were better) but there are some things that just withstand the test of time and sometimes they have that classic look, especially when they have a little time on them. My cupboard is full of failed attempts until I found this little gem. If you have that kind of need, I promise it will be the last one you buy! It's that good.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
My pipe roll was delivered yesterday, and wow. The quality is excellent and I'm quite glad that Glousterman posted the link. This is a very durable waxed canvas/leather catch system. Makes me want car show season to start this weekend!

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Neat, I also do more car show/events than fishing these days and that roll-up will blend in nicely with my MGB.
SSJones - I will also tell you to take a minute to look at the rest of the site; they also sell a Tool Roll that would dress up your MGB with some English spanners.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Thanks for the heads up gloucesterman. I'd been looking at a waxed canvas fly wallet from ll bean and trying to figure how to make it work. This is perfect, just ordered one. Bradley Mountain should probably get you a commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.