PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotack

Lurker
Apr 11, 2015
I'm really keen on this type of smoke for looks alone. Plus I'm an avid outdoor sportman, so why not?

The thing is, I'm not really certain what particular characteristics make them outdoor pipes??
I'm thinking of buying into a small Peterson. It's an X105 with a short stubby stem I believe. ( Looks like a Sportman 87) I suppose you could call it a semi custom they put together for me in their Dublin Store..... It's in their now waiting for me :)

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
If you haven't read the posts on clinching you might want to. I spend a lot of time in the spring, summer and fall chasing trout and often find my hands need to be in use for things other than holding a pipe. My favorite "outdoor" pipes are saddle bit, short shank 1/4 bent pipes. They just work well for me.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have an X105 Golfer with the short stem and its one of my favorite pipes. Their Sportsman series are nice but the bits are very narrow so difficult for clenching. They also have a Hunter series which are regular sized bowls but shorter, normal stems. Unfortunately, I rarely see these in the US, most seem to be sold overseas with several shops in Italy carrying them.
Post pics when/if you pick up your X105.
Another thing I have noticed about the Peterson's sold overseas is they seem to be of higher quality than what we get in the US.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The Peterson 53 shape, the Lovat, is a stubby sort of pipe. I have an Emerald series that I picked up as an estate, and overall it's about 5 inches in length.

robotack

Lurker
Apr 11, 2015
Thanks for the replies... So essentially the idea is they are easier to clench so as to keep your hands free?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I think the prevailing idea is that a shorter pipe is easier to keep out of the line of fire when active. I don't know about that. I have a full bent Edwards, an Oom Paul shape, that is much easier to clench and not get in the way, than that Lovat. I frequently drive while clenching a Savinelli Bing's Favorite, which is 7 inches long. Personally, I like corn cob pipes when I am doing yard work or working on the Jeep.

robotack

Lurker
Apr 11, 2015
The Peterson salesman tells me the shorter pipe will smoke hotter with a greater chance of bite. From what I've read online that might not be true?
I'd love to try a cob but here in Ireland it's a Peterson monopoly so there's little else available.

robotack

Lurker
Apr 11, 2015
The Peterson salesman tells me the shorter pipe will smoke hotter with a greater chance of bite. From what I've read online that might not be true?
I'd love to try a cob but here in Ireland it's a Peterson monopoly so there's little else available.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think a short pipe smokes hotter. I have a number of pipes in the 5" range with no issues. They smoke just as well as my larger, longer pipes. As I said earlier, the biggest problem I see with smaller pipes are the stem, some are just too small to clench properly. The Peterson Golfer and Hunter series solve this by using a regular sized bit that is just shorter than normal but has the same width as a regular full sized Peterson.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Other than cobs, I would suggest Tsuge's Mizki and Mizuki pipes. Fairly short, at or around 5 inches, and a saddle bit wide enough to clench.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have to say, my Pete 53 Lovat does, in fact, bite like a dog. I have other short pipes though that do not burn hot, such as my Ligne Bretagne. In that respect, it is the luck of the draw.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Huh, that is interesting. I guess it has never occurred to me that a pipe could be the cause of tongue bite. I always figured it was due to the tobacco.

robotack

Lurker
Apr 11, 2015
See, now you've l talked me into it :)
I'm sure I'll invest when I'm back in Dublin next week. Thanks for the replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Stanwell bulldogs, straight (32) and bent (191) are both good stubby "out and about" pipes. Both good, light clenchers. And if you get the brushed black or brushed brown finish, they can be had for around $50 US.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm a big fan of short pipes. Big Ben puts out a line of pipes called "Barbados" and they are short, wide saddle, great smokers. The Savinelli Sport line are also short fat smoker that make great clenchers.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
+1 Big Ben Rangers/Pipo. I usually stick with my cobs or my Falcons outdoors camping/hunting/fishing... I favor the Falcons though.

Status
Not open for further replies.