PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
So i recently switched from keeping my toby in the humidor to glass jars after reading an article on here, i was curious who puts humidification devices in their jars or they just leave their toby sitting?

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
+1 I have a few jars that have been aging 5 years and the tobacco is still good. No humidification, just tobacco.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Jars for me as well for stuff I don't get into often. I keep my open tins that I regularly smoke from in freezer ziplocks. Since I have five or six open at a time the heavy plastic keeps them like just opened for the one to two months it takes me to smoke through them. If I'm going out I just leave the bag at home and the tobacco is ready for smoking and the tin for showing off.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I keep my open tins that I regularly smoke from in freezer ziplocks.

can_of_worms_ahead_151.jpg

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
As I was a cigar smoker for many years before returning to the briar, I got the 70% humidification that cigars are stored at set in my mind. I kept humidification devices in all of my pipe tobaccos, with the result being that my tobacco was always too wet and smoked hot. It was thanks to this site and a few others that I learned about the pinch test and proper storage. Now I keep all of my tobacco in glass jars, without any humidification and it keeps and smokes perfectly.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Humidor is full of EL REY DEL MUNDO's. At 70% Hum and 75 degree's temp.
Pipe tobacco is downstairs in a cool dark area of my office. I enjoy both when the urge hits me.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I use a moisture disc (button) in a jar or tin if the pipe tobacco seems to be drying out, but otherwise no humidification device. I use a Drymistat Humidifier Tube in my small humidor for cigars.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can of worms: Ziplocks will be OK for short term, but plastics are tricky. They may retain moisture but not necessarily all the organic goodies and other molecules that the tobacco came with; and their properties almost certainly vary from one brand to another.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never store pipe tobacco with humidification devices. I keep open tins in air tight tupperware plastic containers which keep them fine for at least a month.
As said above, cigars are completely different than pipe tobacco it does not need humidification if stored properly. I find the large( I can get 2 pounds in comfortably) bail top plastic containers with a silicone gasket from wal mart to work extremely well for long term storage. Just make sure you wash them thoroughly before putting tobacco in them.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I store my tobacco by spreading it out on an absorbent cloth in a dry room. I also like to keep a fan blowing on it constantly. What it sounds like I'm hearing from you fine folk is that this might not be the best practice.

Sep 15, 2011
Brewshooter---you're doing everything correctly thus far, however, you might want to spread calcium chloride on top of your absorbent cloth to really purge excess water from the tobacco...in this way you will have the coolest smoke possible; it will only last for about two minutes, but...it will be cool...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Since the thread seems finished, I have a humidor related question.
If it's TOO humid, what are some ways to bring it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.