PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Considering it was no longer a hurricane the let herself be known by a little over 3” of rain, nothing near what our folks down south experienced but then again Maine waters generally don’t allow hurricanes free passage as the Gulf of Maine water temperature gave it the nickname Hurricane Killer Territory as the cold water sucks the energy out of the storm.
Even with my best British Oilskin Jacket and cap I only snuck out for a few puffs with my MM Twain and rushed back inside since I’d like to keep my hearing aids in working order. Later with the rains still coming down I went to my acupuncture session and when it was over the rain appeared to have abated so I walked home.
Once home I got the Keurig heating up so I could have a good cup of strong black coffee and while that was brewing I loaded up the 4 knuckle bamboo shank Danish style flame grained bowl with plateau on the top and an ebonite stem with a tapered brass tenon. I’ve seen many materials used as tenons with bamboo shank pipes but this tapered one was new to me.
I own 2 bamboo shank pipes by this Pipemaker the other is a Pickaxe and will be shown at a later time. I wasted no time loading the Todd M. Johnson pipe with Virginia no. 1 by Mac Baren and kept it smokey.

banjo
44720100412_ebc90c39b1_z_d.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The plateau on that rim provides a real accent to that pipe; looks like the inside of a geode!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

A tapered brass tenon sounds interesting. Would it be possible to see it? Keep it smokey! :puffy:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That is a beautiful pipe. To echo MSO a bit, the rustic feel of the plateaux and bamboo are a perfect match for each other. Based on your posts the last few days banjo, I suspect your collection of bamboo shank pipes might be larger than my entire briar collection!
On another note, I believe I once saw one of your posts mentioning casting flies. If I am remembering correctly, cheers from one pipe smoking fly fisherman to another :puffy:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Nice collection! I've been wanting to try a bamboo rod, but considering my priorities at the moment, they are a bit out of my price range. I started two years ago, and I'm still using my only fly rod, a basic 5 weight St. Croix. I live in the rural Midwest, and I've chucked hardware on spinner rods for years fishing for bass. A very dear friend introduced me to fly fishing, and it opened up an entirely new dimension of fishing. There are good some good streams around here for smallmouth and sun fish, and I've barely touched my spinner rods since picking up a fly rod.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well tomorrow I finish going through the racks, then I open the bamboo pipe cabinet.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Here is a photo of the brass tenon, the taper is not steep, probably not as easy to see in the photo as it is when you are physically looking at it but it’s definitely tapered.

banjo
44731787592_8e62511fb7_z_d.jpg

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Can you taste a difference when drawing smoke over metal, Banjo? I've always been a little leery of metal (including stingers), but some pipes with metal (including Scottie Piersel's work) is really intriguing.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
If you buy the pipe new,be of the shank the mother wood of the bowl or bamboo, it takes a few smokes to get the woody flavor to settle down, by that time any metal as picked up enough residual tobacco flavoring it may absorb to make it moot. Same can be said for an estate. I’ve owned both types and have a very good palate since most folk rave over my cooking skills and I can make a meal taste the same even if I don’t have one of the original key ingredients I’ve used in the past. I would not let a metal tenon or insert prevent me from purchasing a pipe that strikes my fancy, there are Pipemakers using Dekrin instead of metal, both have the positive side of being able to remove the stem while the pipe is still warm since they don’t expand like the other tenon materials that the mother stem material has. Regards.

banjo

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That's an interesting tenon. I have a Kyriazanos with a metal tenon (not sure what type), and I like it's fit. This brass tenon is a nice touch and you can see the slight taper. I also see what appears to be a slight bulb in the center (most likely to keep it tight), and a couple score lines where it meets the stem (most likely for a nice easy fit). Again, I find this tenon to be unique and I've not seen one like it. I guess there's a reason the man is one of the best. He's pushing the boundaries of craftsmanship and engineering to new heights. Bravo!

Status
Not open for further replies.