PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
This week our 8 year old twin grand-daughters are staying with us for spring break. My wife is in seventh heaven and busy as can be. Being a grumpy old SOB, I'm happy, but boy are they busy and noisy!
The topper for the whole visit (so far) has been when one of my darlings held up an ashtray and asked what it was. When I told her it was an ashtray, she asked what an ashtray was.
Political Correctness has overtaken us!

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Lol
8 tracks

Roll up windows

Vents in cars

Cig lighters in cars
Ohhh you have some esplaining to do lol

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm old enough to remember when ashtrays where considered furniture. Every room had to have at least one, either on a table or on a stand.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Cigarette lighters in cars! What a fantastic invention that was! Safer too, I'll credit, than all these electronic devices people plug into the hole these days.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I was teaching a class, and I mentioned that I write with a fountain pen. One of the students asked: "what's that?" Damn--I'm getting old! I didn't feel like this when we got electricity.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
hehe, just show her this plateauguy...
A USO Canteen, circa 1943 (I counted at least 11 ash trays in this pic)
uso-600x418.jpg

View hi-res here:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/17187

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
You should see the ash trays at the pipe show! Two or three big ones at every table. There is someone who comes by regularly to empty them.
Winton

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Our house is filled with old stuff, and the "little women" are always asking, "What is it?"
Today it was the 1943 Western Electric telephone that my wife had restored. They had never seen anything without push buttons, and tried to punch the holes to dial. It's so sad . . .

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I grew up in a non-smoking house, so I likewise had to learn what an ashtray was somewhere else - probably at a restaurant. And I blistered my hand on one of those in-car cigarette lighters, so I'm not particularly nostalgic for those, either. :D
I do toy with the idea of picking up a fountain pen, however. Those things are cool...

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Use a fountain pen every day. Nothing means more to a customer or anyone than getting a handwritten note or letter. Don't believe me, google it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have one of my grandmothers old glass ashtrays that I cherish. It is incredible looking and really classy looking. Next time my oldest daughter is here I will get here to take a pic to show you guys, it is too cool.
I love cool ashtrays as I grew up with them all over the house. Here is a pic of my every day pipe ashtray, it holds two pipes and has a knocker.

Here is a pic of the first limited edition Opus X cigar ashtray.

Here is a pic of the second limited edition Opus X ashtray.

Both of the Opus ashtrays are crystal and very heavy. If my kids knew what I paid for them they would have me committed. lol I have a bit of an obsession when it comes to ashtrays.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I didn't learn what a cigarette lighter in a car was until I stuck my finger in one! I was maybe 9 years old and burned the hell out of my finger.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mrjerke, thanks buddy. I haven't bought a new ashtray since around 2000 which was my pipe ashtray. I bought that from smokingpipes way back when.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I remember the engine starter "button" that was located on the floorboard to the right of the gas pedal. Not that it was MY car, BTW. I'm not that old. But as a child of 4 or 5 I remember my grandfather's car,(don't know the make or model). He would come and visit from out of state ever once in a blue moon, and I remember sitting in the driver's seat, trying to reach that "button" with my foot.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Sorry to say I was a little kid and remember seeing all of the things you described. Those were fun times. My aunt was the coolest. Now older having kids you wonder how you guys and the kids ever made with all the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.