PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
P&C has these on the back page of their catalog. Who has tried them?

I'm betting that most of us think these are too inexpensive to be of any real value.

It's funny how merchandising works sometimes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My thought processes didn't focus on the price so much. I like Lane bulk tobacco, and Sutliff in tins, and they aren't pricey. I just didn't know what to make of the humor. I like jokes, whimsy, and madcap presentations, but when that is central to the product, I don't quite know what to make of it. Have I gotten my money's worth by getting the tin with the joke on the front, or does it hide a really tasty blend? So far, I suspect it is just a good joke but maybe not such a good set of blends. I'd be happy to hear anyone report on these and how they smoked. I think I'd be inclined to send off for a tin of Fire Storm to try, before one of these, for a few bucks more.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
mso489, I can attest to Fire Storm's satisfying qualities, having participated in the PaxCrawl in April, that was the climactic or last week's blend to smoke.

I still wonder about the contents of these P&C tins. Russ must have had a hand in the blending?

If so, they've GOT to be smokable, at the very least.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
My first thought would be, is that they are the Smoker's Pride blends in a tin. There's nothing wrong with Smoker's Pride, they are just not likely to be knock your socks off blends.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've explored their descriptions on P&C's website...which always seems balky to me....and they're all 'inexpensive' aros...with toppings and nothing exotic mentioned. i.e. no lat, oriental, dk fired, or otherwise distinctive.

A vanilla, a cherry, a whiskey, a rum, and something else, I forget already.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy an occasional aro, but mostly I smoke non-aros, so I am especially picky. I want only tobacco forward aros.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mso, I am also not an aro smoker but I really enjoy Peterson University Flake as to my tastes it is very tobacco forward but with some really nice plum notes. I consider it a hybrid aro.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
I have experience with Out Of Office Locked Out blend. I like it. Dries easy, smokes cool, and has a nice room note. But i am a lower experienced smoker, could be more of a "new guy" smoke.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I have been smoking the "Gone Fishin" blend. Out of the tin its very wet and sticky and actually smells like rum and caramel. I would say as an aromatic its ok, arguably better than something like Captain Black as I can actually taste something but nowhere near as good as something like Three Blind Moose.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Gone Fishin' is perfect beginner's blend. No bite, smooth, taste remains constant through the smoke. Not too heavy and is sweet. I have wanted another tin, but have too much else to go before it. A good, cheap summer smoke. It is very wet, and sticky...but no problems burning it, wet or dry. If you have $10 lingering....get a tin and a cob...head out to where you fish and have at it. I don't regret it. Overall, a decent, sweet treat. In the hot sun, when Nightcap just doesn't fit....I like it.
I'm betting that most of us think these are too inexpensive to be of any real value.

It's funny how merchandising works sometimes.
My favorite tobacco is a tough call between S.P.S. Breckinridge and Admiral's Choice. Admirals choice is drug store cavendish that's $10 for 8 oz....so price isn't a factor in my decisions.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I would totally agree with you Tyler "Gone Fishin" is a great beginner blend as well as being bite free. I'll have to try it in my cob next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.