PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So our daughter turned 6 in December. And she had been talking about getting a pet for her birthday. A pet she really really really wanted. I have always wanted this certain pet when I was growing up as well, so it was a shoe in for me.
This is Sophie. A 5 month old female Ball Python.

Boy is she truly a sweetheart!
Screenshot-20190109-093210.png

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
We feed her frozen thawed. She eats good too. We feed her outside the cage in a separate container. I know there's a lot of debate about that and we believe that's the best way for us. She perks right up when we she sees her feeding box!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Your daughter and my grandson (he'll be 5 in March) should hang out together. He has two domestic rats for pets. Are rats and snakes compatible? :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Poor choice, IMHO, but who knows? Your daughter may become a world renowned herpetologist one day. Waddya do when the thing gets to 20 feet long and 300 lbs.?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny, but less conventional pets -- and reptiles are really not so unconventional anymore -- can often be good ones. Rats have the association with pestilence, but when domesticated and bred, they are smart, friendly, and companionable in many cases, and they are much smarter than you'd think. Wild rats find their way into labs housing rats to get food and romance, and do so for long term despite pest control efforts. The only aspect I'd adamantly avoid is bonding with venomous snakes. A local, well-published writer here was an avid rattlesnake man and was forever getting bitten, and stopping off at a bar for a few drinks before going to get treated. Your daughter looks entirely pleased with her friend, and will learn a lot from keeping such a companion animal. Oh, and I meant to mention, in UK and maybe other places, there is an actual rat fancy, like a cat fancy, where rats are bred for specific traits, groomed lovingly, and shown in competitions like cat shows. This would seem bizarre to me, but having kept hamsters as a child, and having known about rats from my work place (labs) I understand this a little better. Rats are quite thoughtful; who knew? This snake makes me think of the really huge snakes I've seen at zoos, the anaconda; those things are immense, and have been known to eat the occasional human, though only for special occasions.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
My friend had one for a couple years till it got loose in his apartment complex and was mistaken for a normal snake and not a pet.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Get her a dog, a cat or even better a horse. Those are proper pets."

That's a bit harsh and very negative. Surely if the child is taught how to look after it then all should be well.

Regards ,

Jay.?

Reactions: didimauw
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve never had a fear of snakes, but never had the urge to have one as a pet. ?‍♂️ They’re cool animals, but a game of fetch would be very one-sided I think ?
I’m glad you’re enjoying your new addition, @didimauw .

Status
Not open for further replies.