Our Changing Times (It's not just tobacco)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Found elsewhere on the Net.
A comic book collector commenting on the current state of affairs in the Comic Book World:
----

Iron Man is now a tall black girl. Tony Stark is "dead".
Another Iron Man is literally Doctor Doom with different armor.
Thor is now a pale woman fighting cancer and she doesn't have the hammer.
Hulk is now a hyper Asian kid with full control. Being the Hulk is no longer a curse.
Captain America is now a Nazi, with the excuse the Red Skull rewrote his past.
Another Captain America, the Falcon, is a black SJW that fights for illegal immigration and actively fights the police.
Deadpool is still around, but they're trying to force Gwenpool down our throats. An "lol so random" girl with pink hair highlights from our world that got pulled into theirs, so naturally became a Deadpool-style murderous psychopath with a pink Deadpool costume.
Captain Marvel is now a shape shifting mutant/inhuman girl I guess? Didn't follow that one closely, but she's weird, stretches her fists like Mr. Fantastic.
Speaking of, Fantastic Four were disbanded at some point, Reed and Susan are missing while Ben Grimm is now a SHIELD agent and Johnny became an Avenger.
Oh, can't forget the arcs that are just recycled garbage. Remember how the Civil War event was a big deal? They had a Civil War II, which was extremely messy, made no sense, and was as if nobody learned from the first one.
Wow. Writing out just some of this really brings to light how far Marvel has fallen.
They're losing all their fans like me that have followed them for decades, to pander to the SJW crowd that won't buy their content as much as we could.
Fuck Marvel.
EDIT: oh yeah, Spiderman. I guess he's becoming an evil, corporate leader with his own company trying to bring back the dead, while the down-to-earth street Spidey is now a black kid? His arcs are confusing as fuck.
I know I'm forgetting more. All the golden age characters are dead, missing, or shadows of their former selves while getting pushed aside for SJW bullshit.
EDIT2: oh god, the X-Men.

Wolverine is dead, replaced by an angsty teenage girl into self harm.

Angel/Archangel is an angsty teenager dating Wolverine.

Scott Summers is dead, with his teenage self being an angsty loser

Iceman is now a gay angsty teenager, when for the past 40+ years he was very straight. On top of this it feels very forced and artificial.

Most mutants are dead from the Terrigen clouds. The Terrigen creates Inhumans when breathed by some people, but kills mutants. For some reason people welcome the mutation and many love the Inhumans... Completely throwing away all the hate and intolerance they showed the mutants, which was the point of the series in the first place.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I understand what you are saying and agree. Thing is if I comment more I will go postal on society in general.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Comics are a business. They depend on new readers to survive so need new story lines to get peoples attention. If people were buying the traditional titles writers wouldn't be exploring alternate heroes.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I'm with OP and saintpeter. Though some of these titles have sold well, I believe many are going down in sales again. A new gimmick or five cover designs have all the collectors thinking millions of dollars only cost them 3.99.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's just a sign that fantasy and dreams are a thing of the past to placate the PC croud. When was the last time anyone went to a Long John Silver's where the store was made to look like a pirate ship, or when was the last time Ronald McDonald was seen? Anyone remember when Wonder Woman was powerless, or what pink Kryptonite does?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Comics are a business. They depend on new readers to survive so need new story lines to get peoples attention. If people were buying the traditional titles writers wouldn't be exploring alternate heroes.
IMO it’s a mistake to always assume the profit motive. There is a big social engineering component behind lot of pop culture content.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I know I just don't get it but..really?
It's comic books for goodness sake.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
all the collectors thinking millions of dollars only cost them 3.99.
$3.99? You gotta be #@@%** kidding me. I was bent out of shape when they went from ten cents to twelve. Of course now they aren't comics they are graphic novels.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nah, unless they are around 200 pages, they are still comics to me. Where are they $3.99? Around here they are $5.00.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always miss "the originals," whether it's James Bond or Star Wars. However, it bears noting that this is how mythology has always worked. The characters over time, told by different story tellers, shape shift and transmogrify (sorry, I had to use that word, that just means transform). There was a huge shift between Greek and Roman gods, but many of the characters were essentially the same, though their names changed. I'm sure the Greeks disdained the Roman sequels, and the Romans saw the Greek versions as sadly antiquated. Then Christian society came along and borrowed some and replaced a lot.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
How about this: like all art, comic books are simply reflecting the times we live in - which includes massive amounts of racial, social, and economic injustice and a government actively working to make these things worse. The 40s reflected anti-German/Japanese WWII themes, the 50s were full of commie-paranoia, the 60s and 70s were full of civil rights, anti-Vietnam war and other anti-establishment themes, the 80s were nuclear war doom and gloom....
The fact that comics are full of these issues tells us an important thing about American society: there is still a huge amount of racism and other forms of injustice which cannot be dismissed as just "PC". If you don't like 'em, don't read 'em.
As for teenage angst, that's been a theme of comics since the beginning.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It is indeed the economics which drive comic books. They either get new readers who are being raised differently than earlier generations, a normal progression, or they go broke without customers. They are simply responding to a changing society. Comics aren't leading the charge, they are simply following along, finding where the money is.
They are "graphic novels" to the older readers who wouldn't be caught dead reading a "comic" while reading their comics. Today's comics are a lot different than my generation's though. Usually darker and science fiction was relegated to "Classics Illustrated" dumbed down Jules Verne and the like.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
like all art, comic books are simply reflecting the times we live in
IMO, life imitates art probably equally as much as the other way around.
there is still a huge amount of racism and other forms of injustice which cannot be dismissed as just "PC".
Or is it possible that the extent and severity of those issues/problems are a greatly exaggerated perception created by the MSM?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When was the last time anyone went to a Long John Silver's where the store was made to look like a pirate ship, or when was the last time Ronald McDonald was seen?
This is an interesting point. Imagination is dead.
There is a political agenda behind everything, with different groups warring it out. Some ideas are realistic, and others are not. If you tolerate unrealistic ones, you get more of them, and they take over. Then your civilization dies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
There used to be a thing called "entertainment". Personally, I've found it very difficult these days to find a movie, comic book or even an opera that hasn't been twisted into a serious social commentary piece and emptied of any entertainment value.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
@deathmetal - absolutely, the absence of Ronald McDonald and of pirate-themed Long John Silvers is totally a sign of the death of imagination - and of the evils of political correctness. I'm sick and tired of all these pirates and clowns droning on about cultural appropriation and fighting their rights to dress up in their stupid costumes. As you said, "Some ideas are realistic, and others are not." :rofl:
@brian64 - It's also "possible that the extent and severity of those issues/problems are a greatly" under-reported by the MSM (which includes Fox News, by the way). True, our instant-news, fb, youtube culture means we see a lot more that we otherwise would, but all that does is highlight that these problems still exist - and with the current administration have gone mainstream.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Personally, I've found it very difficult these days to find a movie, comic book or even an opera that hasn't been twisted into a serious social commentary piece and emptied of any entertainment value.
Their fortunes seem to be falling the more they do this. People want escapism or at least a good yarn, and instead we're getting political and commercial propaganda.

Status
Not open for further replies.