PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I’ve converted to grams over ounces on ageing. 250 grams= 8.81 ounces. So calling 2 boxes a pound is 1.6 more ounces in a pound. This really doesn’t make a big difference now, but 10 years down the line when weight is golden and international selling. The gram will be the standard, and smaller amounts will be sold/traded. This does make small tins more desirable. The amount of Weight loss during ageing may also be an issue. I know, always looking to the future…
Craig

Reactions: Satanrunt

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Grams offer nice even increments allowing for greater precision - plus most of the world is using the metric system so that's not a bad plan...
I do think, though, that you may be overstating the international market for aged tobacco in the future.
In many countries it is illegal to sell tobacco without a license and one is not allowed to sell tobacco to other individuals. There may very well be a domestic market among collectors in the US if they do not place restrictions upon private sales, but I do not think there will be much trade across borders in a world that regulates tobacco even more heavily than today...
Also, if you are really keen on selling tobacco at a later date, I can't imagine you investing in anything other than tins.
Here on the forums in days past, people commonly traded in bulks. That is because there is a certain measure of trust involved. It was normal here because few problems arose from it.
On the other hand, a lot of people would never buy bulk tobacco from a completely unknown source because there is no way to know the provenance of the blend or if it has been adulterated in some way.
Some would, but you are limiting your sales potential without that factory seal.
IMO, bulks are best for your own personal smoking stock.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
A gram is a unit of mass whereas an ounce is a unit of weight. However given that the gravitational constant on earth is fixed then the conversion factor of 1 oz (avoirdupoise) = 28.329 g or 1oz(Troy) = 31.103 g holds. Personally I like to work in grams, thats what I use in my work. Grams (hg, kg, etc.). Avoids ambiquity beteeen various definitions of oz. The total mass of tobacco and/or the mass loss occurred upon drying, however would be independent of the unit system used to measure it.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Prof.What the hell did you just say? :lol:

Please don't try to explain it cause I won't understand that either. Grams & ounces just reminds me of an earlier time in life.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Ok
1. There is more then one definition for an oz, so the number of ounces a given object would weigh in avoirdupoise ounces would differ from the weight in Troy ounces. Measuring the mass of substance in grams avoids the confusion.
2. Weight (e.g. ounce) = mass (e.g. gram) x gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s^2)
3. Irregardless wether I weigh an object in grams, ounces, stones, etc. it is still the same amount of substance I am weighing.
Hope this is more clear

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Sorry Professor, all your intimidating smart talk is trumped by your use of "irregardless".

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Sorry, that is just my normal conversational speech. Howbeit, writing said communication with the use of an iPad all too often poses a challenge, therego my sundary spelling errors. It is demonstratively easier to type on a keyboard. The iPad nevertheless affords me substantially greater mobility, and in that respect proves its worth :D

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
That means that your 250g box of Saint James Flake will more than likely weigh anywhere from 3-7 grams less than 250 when received. So expotentiated, over time, say 5 years and say, four 250g boxes a year, you lose 60g to 140g, or 2.11 ounces to nearly 5 ounces of tobacco.
They main point was to convert all my tobacco which comes in grams or ounces to a uniform weight system. So 5-10 years from now, when the bartering is would wide and buying in ounces would be a huge expenditure. Using grams will allow for the smaller system that will be in place to be uniform and convenient. My reason is to make the determination of grams at storage time, and then when assessing value due to moisture loss, which I think will be another issue for a different thread. For example – 10 grams of fresh would be worth $x, but 10 grams of 10 year old will have factored in that it may have started at 20 grams. I just believe with all my experience in business. Ten+ years from now high quality tobacco will be a true commodity worldwide, not one I think in riches but knowing you have something that will be worth much more than when you bought it. I’ll have all the best to smoke for as long as I wish to smoke. When I’m looking at hopefully a huge cellar, my database and jar markings will all be uninform. Easily understood if my children choose to sell it, for example my father is a huge stamp collector. He has no system and the key stamps he has in very expensive sets, will be bought at 10 cents on the dollar by the many con artists. The only stamp my step-mother knows anything about is the single plate block error that is the only one in the world. Has articles written about it, authentication reports, and is listed in the big stamp bible (Scott’s) with a value of – Because it’s one of the few that’s never been sold. I’m a big believer in keeping all my investments in something I can hold in my hand. I have no faith in the US dollar, banking system or economy, and a government which will go to any lengths to strip as much tax out my life’s work when I’m gone.
Not trying to make it more difficult than that, just simpler.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It is good to have a coherent system in place for your own personal purposes.
It is definitely a smart idea to have your general investments "in order" as well...
I just don't think that there will be a structured market for pipe tobacco in the way that you think there will be.
If anything, it will be more informal and localized as tobacco regulations increase - ranging from grey to black market.
Aged tobacco cannot have a standardized worth, IMO, because you cannot guarantee the condition of said tobacco nor can you predict the effects that aging will have. To some, it may even be worth less. (In the case of latakia or perique heavy blends)
Consignment shops place aged tobacco at a premium but it usually depends on the blend and what people are prepared to pay for it. If these consignment sales were banished, then these people would be lucky to get the going rate for the old tins because the arbitrary prices wouldn't be feasible in a greatly reduced market.
If tobacco is to be a high value commodity worldwide in years to come, something I am not certain is destined to happen, it will be the growers who profit as they are dealing in huge bales - collectors with a small cache of tins will certainly have a small store of value but it certainly won't compare to what these producers would have...
The true benefit of cellaring is for personal consumption and personal consumption only, IMO.
PS: Is your father still alive and in sound shape? If so, get him to locate and mark the most valuable parts of his collection now before it is too late so you will not have to face that drama down the road...

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Cellaring bulk tobacco for future consumption is a great idea. But as an investment I'm not so sure. From what I've seen at pipe shows, vintage bulk tobaccos go for far less than tins. Why? Because there's no sure way of knowing what you're buying when it's not in a sealed tin. VERY few people have the eye and nose to know FOR SURE that a bulk is what the seller claims it is.
And if converting ounces to grams helps you warehouse it; great. But converting to grams because it will easier to barter with when it all turns into Thunderdome? Well, I'm a little skeptical.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here's a question for the scholars out there, why is it that tins are measured by the gram but, bulk is measured by the pound? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them by both gram and kilo or ounce and pound?

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Thanks for asking about my father, he’s alive but a bit mentally ill. He won’t listen to reason as I’ve begged him to get things together. I’ve offered to database the whole thing for him, but his mind is slipping. He enjoys just messing around and shuffles them around. He has collected seriously since the early 60’s and to say a million dollar collection would be an understatement. He has the very finest of the very hardest to find. It will be a shame when the hawks circle and there’s nothing I can do. I’ll try but my stepmother, though a good person could care less, and less about me.
Back to baccy... having a uniform system for your own book keeping is the main reason for the thread. The rest is speculation on a future I see based on events that are in motion continuing down the path. Growers will be given incentives for crop change to a more profitable plant that requires a tenth of the labor and issues. Right now we see that credibility in trading is taking form. Who you are will be very important in verifying your product. Just as an example, take pipes themselves…Who can make the difference in the thousands. A person can make an exact or even better identical pipe, but can only get maybe $150. While that pipe from a reputable man can be worth thousands. So that’s where bulk issues will come in play. Tins of course are much easier, but the bulk aged VA will be out there and people who can afford it, will buy it. Tobacco that has little VA never ages, just is stored with diminishing quality. (That’s another thread). Just like the Internet is destroying the B&M, future regulations on taxes applied to Internet sales will crush many of the websites now enjoying the golden days. Fewer buyers because of price will snowball down through the industry, making tobacco a luxury commodity. The common smokers will stop or move towards alternate means. Chemically they are making high grade vapors from the actual leaf and brand. Just like today, some people drive a Lexus and others a Camry. So those who can afford it will buy it, most will not. It will be a grey market, not illegal but hard to get, and who it is will mean everything. Another example, 10 years from now Harris posts 100 grams of 15 year old BBF for sale. How much do you think he would get compared to Joe nobody on the market. It’s a new world and anything is possible.
Personally I hope anyone who can, is cellaring for their own consumption. This is the same with cigars, but there value is a curve unlike pipe tobacco. Right now they’re flooding the market with new brands weekly. Enjoying the golden age knowing it will come to an end, and there will be a small percentage of people that have humidors stocked for 10+ years. So it’s an opinion, and I, like everyone, knows what that means. I’m stocking masons and tins at a rate that doesn’t affect my life style with the goal of being covered. Mine is data based and the family knows what my feelings are in 15+ years and being very Internet savvy will know what to do. Hell my bio-chemistry daughter may turn all the bulk into vapor.
Pipes on the other hand are collectables. Just like the example above their value isn’t just in function but as in all art and collectibles, it will depend on who makes it and condition. Many of the most beautiful pipes made today by great artisans will probably never be smoked. Would you smoke a mint never been smoked Preben Holm pipe you paid $2000 for? There are already a bunch of books on collecting rare pipes and comparing them to stamps and coins as collectables. Who and condition mean thousands, and these people don’t even smoke. Think about when you find a pipe for a thousand dollars, from one of the dead great artisans, and stuff $2 of FVF in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.