PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
When come to Polish your briar, is it only Paragon or Halcyon that is suitable for briar pipe? Is it necessary to be the specific wax? ...As I couldn't find any of specially made wax for smoking pipe in my country.....If you know any other wax that works for briar pipe which can get in ace hardware...kindly suggest some..thank you.

Reactions: Pipemanlnf513

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can only speak for Ace stores in the US. They carry pure bee's wax, usually in the furniture polish section. You also might find some in the hardware, usually bars, used to smooth the way for wood screws.
I usually us the oils from the skin around my nostrils to shine up a bowl. Not as durable as bee's wax but, it is effective.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sewing stores sell a small bar of beeswax for waxing thread. Not as good as carnuba, but pretty darn close. Beeswax is probably easier to apply by hand than harder Carnuba. Woodcraft stores sell a large bar of Carnuba for around $7.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I'd just rub the warm pipe on my nose and buff with a soft flannel rag till I could order a tin of Renaissance Wax. I'd avoid bee's wax and olive oil. I keep a red/pink Dunhill cloth at hand for everyday polishing. 8O

Reactions: Pipemanlnf513

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I lean against using wax and polish on pipes. A good rub-down with a jeweler's polishing cloth or similar slightly abrasive then softer cloth will restore the shine and not leave much or any residue behind. The polish is just to increase the eye candy of a pipe and does nothing to enhance or restore the briar in my opinion. I've run the experiment on my own first pipes, for forty years or so, and they look good and polish up nicely without application of anything extra. Do they look new? No. But they look real good.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I am with mso489 on this. I gave up using polishes and waxes as (and my smoking style may be at fault) that the wax seems to soften and come off as the bowl warms. I end up wiping it off anyway.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
Is Howard FW0016 Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish & Conditioner,suitable for brair pipe?

I had go through some reviews for people that use beeswax on their brair, majority claim it collect dust...

I hope there is other product which is similar to Paragon or Halcyon...Because I'm trying not to buy a buffing wheel machine to just only Polish my pipe...and also taken up space in my house.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
The briar is dead, can't feed it. The product you mention is not a pure wax. Check the ingredients. If you wish to wax and shine your pipe, it is not a once and done procedure. Pure bee's wax is suggested because it adds nothing to the wood. The was is not simply a coating if properly applied. It fills the pores in the wood. There will be a bit of a wax coating, too much means you didn't buff well enough.
My suggestion, since you are apparently unwilling to accept the conventional wisdom from people representing probably 200+ aggregate years of smoking and pipe care, is to lacquer the darn thing up, put it on a shelf, sit back and admire it as you smoke a cob or something.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
@sablebrush52 yes sir I hv see it really appreciate it, but I try not to buy it online as it will take a very long time to reach my country (Malaysia).
@Warren ok sir I will definitely buy and use the beeswax..thanks alot for your fine advise . Cheers

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I was glad when warren first mentioned what we in the music-teaching biz called "nose grease"(great for head-joints of flutes, multi-pad finger keys and the like). I was blissfully smoking away over this past weekend when I noticed that my pipe seemed kind of tired, sad, and sort of more matte-finished as opposed to the smooth polish with which it started out. It was fairly warm to the touch as well. I rubbed the bowl all over my nose(especially the sides around the nostrils) and then just a smooth polishing cloth. It had become luminous and happy again! Can't beat the price! Also another great use of teenagers! heh heh :puffy:

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
@warren I just bought and use beeswax on my brair pipe today..it shine and looks newer than brand new... What would you suggest for Rusticated finish pipe?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
My rusticated pipes are not overly so. First I'd use a clean "soft" tooth brush to remove any dust or grit. Then, the bee's wax and a soft, lint free cloth to buff. An old, clean cotton tee shirt should work fine. Fold it a couple of times for thickness in dealing with the roughness of the rustication and buff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to use waxes like denicare, paragon and the like to polish my pipes. Now I use Dunhill Pipe Wipe's as they are easy to use and polishes my pipes nicely. The wipe's last about a year so they are economical.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Melt a bunch of bees or carnauba was and when almost melted add two table spoon vegetable or coconut oil. I prefer coconut. Makes it rag spreadable but still firm.
I forget the weight of the wax I do it by eye. I think 1 or 2 max oz. Poor mix when done in your favorite smelling old 50g tin and cap. Cool in fridge for a bit then let stand somewhere over night. The tobacco smell will slightly scent the wax.
If you want to change the mix to make harder or dofter remelt and change ratio. Melt in Pyrex over low heat in boiling water or in Pyrex over wax melter you borow from you wife and never give back.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Isn't there a major difference between those two waxes as to melting point and esp. hardness? Also, mineral oil will not go rancid, whereas veg. Or coconut oil will eventually.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
The Carnauba has a higher melting point if memory serves. The both are meant for wood finishing though and of course the carnauba being the default for pipes. I will definitely try the mineral oil next time I make a batch. Nice addition.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Posting error on my part, reposting message in entirety.
The Carnauba has a higher melting point if memory serves. The both are meant for wood finishing though and of course the carnauba being the default for pipes. I will definitely try the mineral oil next time I make a batch. Nice addition.
My preferred thing for the wax though is food grade not petroleum grade. Carnauba comes from a plant, bees wax from the honey comb. Paraffin wax comes from the bottom of a refinery barrel. Ewww. I don't know where paragon wax comes from but it sounds to much like paraffin to me.
To add I just looked up mineral oil. Although it is petroleum based as well "E" grade mineral oil seems ok and per Wikipedia is used for cutting boards, wood counter tops and such, and some food products in small amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.