PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I know that Dunhill, Peterson and Savinelli have good reputations of being top quality pipes. I was wondering if you all know of other brands that are just as finely crafted that don't get much attention? Really trying to build a nice classy pipe collection.
Thanks family!

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I really enjoy some of my older LA ROCCA pipes, however dont hear much about them. I like that, my theory is it keeps them cheap. The sponser Milan have some on their site, I know. Sure the others do also.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Here are some of what I have that I think are good smokers: Stanwell, Nino Rossi, Missouri Meerschaum Cobs, Falcon, Kirsten, Storient, The Guildhall London Pipe(Comoys Second), The Everyman Pipe(Also a Comoys second). I find the Comoys seconds to be great smokers, so I can only assume a Comoy would be even better.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
There are so many pipe makers out there that it helps to narrow the question to a price range. ie- hard to compare Dunhill to Stanwell, or a Radice to a Grabow, in terms of actually purchasing the pipe.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I wouldn't personally group Dunhill with Peterson and Savinelli. The latter two are primarily producers of mid-range pipes, while Dunhill focuses on the higher end.
When thinking of current-production brands that are at a similar quality level to Dunhill, I think Ashton, Radice, Castello, any of the various Nielsens (I personally love Kai Nielsen's work). I've heard good things about Ardor, but have never tried one. I'm sure there are lots more that I'm just not familiar with.
It does seem that a number of the once-great names in pipes have suffered in the last few decades. For example, I can't recommend new Charatans (unless you're going for a very expensive pipe). But if you're interested in estate pipes, I'd highly recommend Lane-era (or earlier) Charatans (my favorite brand), Upshall, GBD, Comoy, Sasieni, Ascorti, and Caminetto. Not all were produced at the same price point as a Dunhill, but all are fine-quality pipes.
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
You can't beat Stanwell for a reasonably priced pipe (though I hear their older Danish-made ones are better than the Italian ones, but don't know how true that is).
For a mid-range pipe, there's Mastro de Paja, L'Anatra (I can attest to their quality), Radice and many more.

Dec 24, 2012
Another good mid range value pipe is Moretti, As far as Italian pipes go, I would rank them below Castello and Ser Jacopo, and somewhere in the vicinity of Mastro de Paja or Radice (IMHO).

Status
Not open for further replies.