PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2015
Relatively new to pipe puffing, and enjoying a few different aromatics and English blends. My fav to date is - quite easily - Frog Morton Cellar. I guess I like it so much because it seems to be something of a cross-over between the two? At least it seems that way to my taste buds! Any recommendations for similar blends? Nothing too heavy on the nicotine front though, or I get queasy easy!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Have you tried the other Frog Mortons? They're not aromatics, but they smoke very sweet and soft and I think most of the components are "cavendished" somehow or other, even the Latakia.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Most definitely... Bald Headed Teacher from 4noggins. Delicious! Not at all high on the nicotine and mildly sweet with a great room note. Contains burley, virginia and latakia.

nepenthe1

Lurker
Sep 20, 2012
If you like "cellar", I can recommend "Brigadier Black Bull Run" I think that Bull Run is a smooth. tasty smoke with no bite that you smoke all day and never tire.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Edward G. Robinson, Nat Sherman 536, and C&D Stratfordshire are three milder blends, one aro and two English, that you might like to try.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I will second 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher. I don't like heavy Lat blends so Cellar was the first Lat blend I liked and then I found BHT. I love him.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Unless you can distinguish every component of a blend like JimInks can, all of the mass produced Frog Morten stuff tastes the same.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I've been smoking a pipe only a short while... love 4Noggins because can buy small sampler sized amount. My last order had Bald Headed Teacher in it and it's very good. It and one called Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard, which was a freebie sample and I enjoy quite a lot.
Found this post because been debating getting the FMC, but only sold in 100g tins at 4Noggins, no samplers or 50g option.
Canada... 4Noggins ships here and great service (and oddly not duty/import fees). Not many other sellers online with it that ships to Canada.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Unless you can distinguish every component of a blend like JimInks can, all of the mass produced Frog Morten stuff tastes the same.
Glad to know my palate's improving, then - I was able to distinguish a noticeable difference between Frog Morton and Across the Pond (my first exposure to Syrian, as opposed to Cyprian, Latakia). :D
Haven't tried Cellar yet, and most of the other blends I've tried are quite definitely one or the other rather than cross-over blends - but happy hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.