PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I couldn't wait any longer. I read enough good/bad discussions about OTC's that I just had to find out for myself what these are like, so I put in an order at SP that includes pouches of: SWR, H&H, CB Gold, CB Dark, St. Bruno, Sail Aromatic, Amphora Original, Amphora Full, and Drexel II.
And just to fill out the order for free shipping, I added: Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Molto Dolce, Sillem's Copenhagen, Mac Baren Plumcake, and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream.
I already have a pouch of CH that I found enjoyable.
I was surprised that CB Original wasn't available, but I suppose I can pick up that one somewhere local.
Looks like I'll be on a big OTC/aromatics binge for the next few weeks!

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
You'll be ok. I cant speak for others, but I found once I knew how to smoke, over the counter tobaccos became delightful. Sugar Barrel and Walnut became my daily blend for years, in fact. Prince Albert is good for the soul. I wish you joy of the journey.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Prince Albert is on my list, along with that Captain Black Original. I would think these can both be found locally.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I always keep St. Bruno and MacBaren’s Vanilla Cream Flake on hand, though I don’t care for the VC loose cut. I also enjoy Amphora original and MacBaren’s Plumcake, enjoy the journey and try to judge each tobacco on its merits and not by it’s price, good luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
techie, I'll second upnorth1 on Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which adds to the burley base Virginia as a condiment and three flavoring liqueurs. I think you are onto something with pouch tobacco. Others that have worked out well for me, from PC, are John Bull and Erin Go Braugh. Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. Others. Just because a blend is sold in a pouch does not mean it is some kind of dross. Some are better than others, depending on your taste, and some are excellent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In tubs, PC's Midtown Series are match blends to old pouch and tub brands done by superior blenders with quality tobacco. I think it is four aromatics and one non-aro. The non-aro is done after the discontinued Walnut, and is Chestnut, with six or so different tobaccos. It's won a long-standng spot on my rotation. They have Chatham Manor which is similar to Carter Hall, and other similar OTC aromatics. I'd certainly recommend Chestnut, and I suspect the aromatics would be equally good of their kind. Members here have said they taste no preservatives or other extraneous additions to these blends.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like Prince Albert enough that I think I would pick it as my "desert island" tobacco. Definitely try some when you get a chance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peterson, Velvet, Amphora, Granger, and others make worthy pouch blends. Read up on the constituent tobaccos and choose those that suggest blends you've tried and like. If you like burley and some nicotine, you might like Five Brothers; it comes dry, burns fast, and may be an acquired taste for most. Take it in a small dose to see. It's one of the least expensive pouches sold.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
They have Chatham Manor which is similar to Carter Hall
I almost bought the Chatham Manor but it appears to be available only in a 14oz can. I didn't want that much of something I've never tried. Too bad they don't offer a sample or smaller option.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Even though they are no longer sold in pouches as they once were, I'd add Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend and Heine's Blend to the OTC list. They were sold as OTCs for decades.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Edward G.'s excellent. I bought a tin from jiminks at the TAPS pipe show; it's a classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.