PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2018
I've yet to try and OTC blends, so as soon as I do my questions will then be answered, but I'd like a little foreknowledge concerning a few things. I seem to be drawn to a good Burley blend, especially as an all day smoke. I have been smoking Mac Baren Symphony for a couple weeks and I really like it. It burns cool, packs easily and tastes so darn good. It's easy for me to smoke a quick bowl on my lunch break, but not so fast that I can't enjoy it or that it starts to burn so fast it tastes like ash, (happened to me quite a few times before I learned how to smoke it!) There is a shop in town that sells Carter Hall, Granger, Prince Albert, etc., and seeing how affordable the cans are I want to start purchasing one wto always have in my rotation...if I end up liking it. MY question is, do those particular blends (Granger, CH, PA, SWR) have a chemical taste to them compared to no chemical taste in the tasty symphony? And aren't those brands pretty much straight burley blends? I won't know what I like until I actually try them, but if anyone has experience and could give me some info comparing them, I'd appreciate it. I don't want a nasty chemical taste basically. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of these are inexpensive to sample in pouches before you commit to a tub. Some taste PG in most OTC blends; that's not me. I find some tastier than others, but not because of the preservatives. PC Home and Hearth Midtown tubs, blended by Russ Oullett, offer a nice series of OTC matches at better prices; I like the only non-aro in the series, Chestnut, which is a match to the discontinued Walnut, and has about six tobaccos, is done in an excellent balance. I also admire Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which unlike their regular blend, has Virginia leaf as a condiment, and is flavored with three liqueurs, but is tastefully tobacco forward. John Bull English and Erin Go Braugh, an Irish whisky flavored blend, are sold in pouches by PC. None of these give me any preservative flavor, but sample and judge for yourself. Some taste PG everywhere and really need to avoid that anywhere.

Aug 5, 2018
Thanks for the info mso. I guess I never noticed the pouches due to the big attractive tubs getting all my attention. I will see if the tobacco shop in town has some CH in pouches that I can try. I'm just attracted to that old school, traditional type of blend that I can always rely on, while of course throwing in some more "exotic" brands/blends regularly also. I have read reviews on Hearth & Home Chathom Manor, giving serious thought to purchasing some and seeing what I think. I'd like to compare it with CH since I've read that they are very similar. Of course I have to try them first!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want to natter, but another idea -- PC Russ O's down home blend Log Cabin has some of the best OTC traits and is only available in bulk, so you could sample a small amount; it's Virginia, burley, and Cavendish, which is usually a winning combination, but then Russ applies his magic touch and gets the proportions just right. You might really like it.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I think it might depend on how hard you puff. Some folks taste the chemical flavor of PG, or a "cigarette" taste in OTCs such as CH or PA. I'm a slow smoker, though, and I just sip my pipe, and I never get those flavors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 on PC/Hearth & Home, Midtown series:"Better tobaccos and no chemical aftertaste." I sent a pipe friend a selection of good tinned tobacco and a sample baggie of Chestnut, one of the Midtown series, the only non-aro, and that was the one he liked best. This guy is very particular, so it illustrated the point.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've tried several of the OTC "codger" blends you mentioned. I love Carter Hall, and I smoke it by the tub. It's my all-day / outdoors / fishing / driving / beer drinking smoke. I've never gotten the chemical-like taste I've gotten from goopy aromatics, but like sittingbear said, if you puff it too hard it will taste like a cigarette. My only complaint is that when you first light it up, there is a bit of a paper-like cheap tobacco taste. After that first light, it's good to go.
As some others mentioned H&H Chatham Manor is Russ Ouelette's version of the codger burley "OTC" blends, but made with finer tobaccos. Russ is one of the most respected blenders out there right now. I have not tried it yet, but I have a tub in the mail from pipesandcigars.com on the way to my house as I type this. I'm really looking forward to trying it, and interestingly, it's less expensive than Carter Hall.
Also important to note, try smoking your codger burleys in a cob :puffpipe:

Aug 5, 2018
Thanks guys for the info and recommendations. I was able to find a pouch of Carter Hall yesterday and wow! That's what I've been wanting, nothing to robust or "exotic" I guess, something I can load in my cob and enjoy anytime of the day! I will definitely check out the midtown series, Chatham Manor in particular, to see how it compares to Carter Hall, now that I know what I like and what to expect.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think tasting "chemicals" in codger burleys is the pipe world's version of gluten sensitivity. I really don't think you can go wrong with any pick from the Midtown Series.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I made a mistake in my first post on this thread, let me try to correct it. Russ has a wonderful French name, but it takes some concentration to spell correctly, and I hope I get this right ... it's Ouellett. I am working from his signature on my tub of Chestnut. I do apologize to Russ for either abbreviating it as Russ O. or misspelling it. Maybe this post will help me focus and get it in mind. Ouellett. Ouellett.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
He's probably inured to it, and mispronunciations as well. A very close friend of mine, born in the States but of Turkish heritage, is named Ahmet. He often gets "What was that?". To which he replies "Omelet. You know, like the eggs."
One of my coworkers' last name is Kolodziejzyk. How do you pronounce that? "Smith". Just ask him! Makes it easier on everyone, though.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I enjoy the Mid-Town Chestnut, Sweet Cask and Chatham Manor. They are good all day smokes. The only thing I can say about them is the do need a bit of drying time.

Now Prince Andrew I tried it and didn't care for it. There was something about the flavor that put me off.

Now concerning the topic I have found most of the OTC tobacco's have a unusual smell and a plastic taste. I have thrown several pouches away.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One of my coworkers' last name is Kolodziejzyk. How do you pronounce that? "Smith". Just ask him! Makes it easier on everyone, though.
He might want to consider using an anagram. Below are a few options:
Jed Kook Lizzy

DJ like Ozzy ok

Jed ko ko Lizzy

Dizzy Joe kl ok

Joe Kid kl Ozzy

Status
Not open for further replies.