Tags:  No tags yet. 

OTC

(67 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by dethmutt
  • Latest reply from dethmutt
  1. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

I've already professed my love for Carter Hall. Today I bring you Captain Black. Again I'm amazed with this one right out of the pouch. Lights, burns, and flavorful.

I'm amazed, I would never have thought Capt Black would be worth smoking.

Im frightened by the grape. But I will try the others!!

Dethmutt

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You've found a tobacco that you like, is inexpensive and readily available almost everywhere. What more could one ask for?

Carry on and enjoy. Don't even give a sideways glance at the inevitable negative comments you're going to get regarding your tobacco preferences.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Captain Black White is a favorite of mine. It has a special place for me in smoking early in the mornings with my coffee while contemplating my day.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Captain Black is not a bad blend. I smoked it for years until I found the Lane Limited equivalents. The Lane equivalents have less PG in them.
    CB White is Lane RLP-6
    CB Blue is Lane 1Q
    CB Gold is Lane MV-1000

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Yep, theres a reason its still out there all over the place

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

RLP-6 was the first blend I fell in love with. Still smoke it on occasion and it never fails to give me a pleasant smoke.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #
  8. theosprey247

theosprey247

Login to Send PM

1Q goes great with coffee

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I absolutely loved Captain Black, and for years it was my primary smoke. Can't abide it now, because of the chemical aftertaste I didn't used to notice. But I would still recommend it as a great Vanilla aro.

Likewise with Carter Hall, I smoke Chatham Manor as it's very close to Carter Hall, just without the chemical aftertaste.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 months ago #
  10. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonder if anyone is cellaring CB...

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I liked cb white but for otc where i live it is over $8 a pouch and carter hall is just over $3

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I love CB Dark, but don't be afraid of the grape. A bit like grape soda.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  13. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I have a few cans.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like a number of OTC and also pouch tobaccos less known to U.S. smokers. Among OTC special favorites, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic has a nice balance with a burley base, Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs. If it were difficult to buy and expensive, it would be one of those unicorns. Embers put me onto Mixture No. 79, which is a joke punchline, but also as he pointed out, pretty good.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

thanks Ray for the equivalents.. Ill have to check out RLP-6 for sure!!!

mso Last time I tried SWR aro it was very chemical. But It may be time to try it again... I still have a pouch somewhere.

never tried Mix 79. Ive heard horror stories and good things.. LOL

The more I get into smoking a pipe, the more (it seems) the dimestore blends had it right to begin with..

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The more I get into smoking a pipe, the more (it seems) the dimestore blends had it right to begin with..

Please, continue to believe this. Leaves more Gawith & Hoggarth for the rest of us.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Don't even give a sideways glance at the inevitable negative comments you're going to get regarding your tobacco preferences."

Good advice, there. I'm with Jesse; that chemical taste (and high moisture from the PG) is pretty off-putting. I still enjoy it once in a while, but those two things keep it from being a staple for me.

Negative comments about the tobacco you prefer are one thing. Negative comments about you preferring it should be ignored as the BS it is.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  18. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is generally agreed that aging is not beneficial for aromatic tobacco, so very few cellar the CB blends or their Lane equivalents.

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Granger that's been aged is absolutely fabulous

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few cans.

Me too. I still like it, still keep an open 14oz tub of the white label around. At a slow burn, this stuff smells great.

Chatham Manor’s a pleasant staple as well.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Olkofri,

Cant say. My intro into Lakeland arrives tues. But ill be sure to let you know.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

It is generally agreed that aging is not beneficial for aromatic tobacco, so very few cellar the CB blends or their Lane equivalents.

That's in comparison to blends that change with aging. Aros when stored airtight will often taste exactly as they did when jarred.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Please, continue to believe this. Leaves more Gawith & Hoggarth for the rest of us.

When you can find it with its ever increasing price. I can still get a 14 ounce tub of CH, PA, SWR, or CB locally for under $30.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can still get a 14 ounce tub of CH, PA, SWR, or CB locally for under $30.

This is why drugstore blends are still around - not because they are better, but because they are inexpensive and easily available. They are the MacDonald's of the pipe tobacco world. If you like them, smoke them by all means.

The closest I get are Lane Ready Rubbed (formerly a drugstore blend as Edgeworth), a couple of Amphora blends (the brown used to be in drugstores), and the occasional old time MacBaren blend, which also used to sold in drugstores.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 months ago #
  25. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

1Q goes great with coffee

1Q goes well with tea too, especially the floral type Oolongs and Pu-erhs. I'm having it as I type with a nice, aged sun-died Qianjiazhai black & flower tea from cake.

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

I actually enjoy the taste of SWR aro, some of the Captain Black, HGL, and other Sutliff offerings. Unfortunately, my mouth gets very sore and tacky feeling after I smoke anything with heavy amounts of PG.

I keep a tub of SWR regular in homage to my grandfather, it's ejoyable every so often and doesn't tear up my mouth.

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SWRA is some really good stuff. I've also gotten to like CB Copper quite a bit. It's almost like a cleaner, more straight tobacco-forward CBW. I've put away many cans of each in the last couple years.

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, this is as good a place as any to confess this:

I actually like Captain Black Grape.

The tobacco component is of reasonable quality, it's not goopy, and the favoring isn't as sickeningly sweet as one might expect. If you like Grape Nehi or the Tootsie Pops with the blue wrappers, and you have a sense of humor and like to try things just for the hell of it, I actually recommend you give the grape a try.

Posted 5 months ago #
  29. donpumsey

donpumsey

Login to Send PM

The Captain was the first pipe tobacco I ever tried. I haven't had it in a while but it isn't bad. As far as drug store blends go; I occasionally mix a half and half mixture of Five Brothers and Smokers Pride black cavendish, when I'm in the mood for something sweet.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Captain Black white was my first pipe tobacco. I prefer the royal better. I have a couple Masson jars and recently got a tub of it when it went on sale. It came wit a $10 P&C cash. I put that towards a pound of 1Q. I just saw they have $20 P&C cash if you buy a tub of captain copper.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  31. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been on an OTC kick lately. Mixing Five Bros. 50/50 with CH. Easy mild smoke with a decent nicotine kick.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 5 months ago #
  32. puffnstuff

puffnstuff

Login to Send PM

I used to be quite a fan of several of the OTC brands in the US.

CB, BR, CH, SWR, AM...

I just took up the pipe again after many years and going to start off with Orlik Golden Sliced as my first foray into tinned flake tobacco

The old Amphora was my favorite OTC of all that I tried, so I bought a pouch of the Full Aroma and put it in a mason jar just the other day. The pouch note did not smell anything close to the old blend so we will see how it fares when lit. I'm quite skeptical about it but heard good things about the Black Cavandish. I have 2 pouches that arrived today!

Always have some Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey around if there is a pipe in my house as I like to 50/50 it with Captain Black Original...it's my "Black Whiskey Blend".

It's going to be interesting to see if I still have some fondness for these old staple OTC blends after I smoke some tinned up yummies!!

"An expert is someone who who knows more and more about less and less, until they eventually know everything about nothing"
    Posted 4 months ago #
  33. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

You can buy Lane for $25 a pound.

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. puffnstuff

puffnstuff

Login to Send PM

I see that and will be trying some serious blending soon!

Anyone know off hand who makes an eqiv. or better in bulk similar flavor profile toBorkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone know off hand who makes an eqiv. or better in bulk similar flavor profile toBorkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yaddy:

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. jmsmitty6

jmsmitty6

Login to Send PM

I'll second the Chatham Manor and the Prince Andrew as well. Never lets me down

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop smoking my pipe
    Posted 4 months ago #
  38. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Stopped into Walgreens today for toothpaste and Biotene. they had Capt Black! 2 pouches.. I asked for both.. Holy hell they were 12$ a piece!!! I think Ill order online from now on!!!!!

Olkifro. just smoked ennerdale. and loved it!!!!! Got bright, and some bogie.. Sorry you now have competition for it..

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

and yes I bought both.

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Always fun to see pics of Esoterica's manufacturing process.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Oh hush Embers,,, Its a nice quick smoke. I have good tobacco for the weekend. during the week I just want a fast smoke.

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Oh hush Embers,,, Its a nice quick smoke. I have good tobacco for the weekend. during the week I just want a fast smoke.

I was talking about Esoterica, not yours.

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

The only OTC I've tried is SWR and I enjoyed it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Likewise with Carter Hall, I smoke Chatham Manor as it's very close to Carter Hall, just without the chemical aftertaste.

Hoping your right. I just bought a tub from P&C. Seems to get good reviews and most say they like it better then Carter Hall. The wait now begins.

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Gonna have to check out Chatham Manor.. although Id hate it to be better, as I have about 10 buckets of CH in the closet.. Its so nice with Perique added in!!!!!

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

secateurs

Login to Send PM

I used to do a lot of OTC smoking some years ago, but once I found the more expensive stuff I basically stopped. I only smoked a bowl every couple days so the extra cost averaged out to only a buck or two a week. Now I'm smoking a couple bowls a day and starting to like bulks more than the pricey tins. I did get a Carter Hall pouch recently and it was OK. I had the last of a few samples of stuff from the local Tinderbox, maybe a bowl's worth each of 4-5 blends. I mixed all that and the CH together and it was a tastier mix to me. Never did like many of the flavored OTC blends though. Too artificial tasting.

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

I really like many of the "old codger" OTCs for the most part; and, Prince Albert is my go-to all-day smoke. While I will usually have a morning and evening bowl of something like: Mixture 965, Presbyterian, Haunted Bookshop, Philosopher, Sherlock's Choice, or Revelation, everything in my bowl begins, ends, and revolves around Prince Albert.

By my pallet, here's how the OTCs and I got along:

1. Prince Albert - My main tabak; I am one with the Prince, and I buy him buy the tub.
    2. Carter Hall - Not too dissimilar to PA, a tad bolder than PA, but is missing something in PA which CH does not exhibit.
    3. Mixture 79 - Bolder still, and a very interesting "collision" of multiple tastes with a woody-earthy flavor.
    4. Half & Half - Works, but not really a fan. Smoke tastes better than the strong pouch note (which reminded me of Mennen SpeedStick).

- Sherm Natman

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren - Amphora Original Blend is the best of the modern OTC tobaccos. No chemical taste and a very nice flavor.

In France you get a good selection of OTC like Mac Baren - Amsterdamer (Amsterdamer Blends), St.Claude and Caporal. In Italy you have, Italia, Comune, Golf and Forte. Some are very natural tasting with enough strength.

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

The term OTC doesn't mean much where I live as the newsagents and supermarkets round my way seem to stock less and less pipe tobacco but if they can still be classed as an OTC then Condor Long Cut gets my vote and I'm waiting on a delivery of Walnut/Original Flake which I have heard good things about.

Chris

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. maxx

maxx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For financial convenience I’ve been smoking a 50/50 mix of Prince Albert and Carter Hall for quite a long time now. It’s okay but doesn’t satisfy like the Latakia blends I love.

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
    ~ Samuel Johnson ~
    Posted 3 months ago #
  51. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I owe the reason why I smoke a pipe today to Captain Black (White)... I personally don't like it myself but the aroma of it while someone else is smoking it is just divine, it's intoxicating. It's the entire reason why I've decided to try out smoking a pipe. I also like several OTC's, mostly the European kind but I can dig Velvet and Prince Albert from time to time, they are good 'dumb reaches'. I'll probably get some CB from time to time to smoke it around my daughter to give her fond memories of her Papa, although these days, that's probably considered child abuse.

Posted 3 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky, yes it is child abuse. Send all your Condor and St. Bruno to me to be disposed of

Posted 3 months ago #
  53. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

mostly the European kind

What are some of the European OTCs? Can any be had in the US? Would any European pouch (e.g. John Bull) qualify?

I read in the G&H description of their Scotch Mixture (a new love) that it's "the most popular Latakia blend in Europe", which had me scratching my head, mostly because it's not cheap. If that's a European OTC, then I for sure want to try more of those.

Posted 3 months ago #
  54. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think St Bruno is a European OTC: it used to be the 'working man's blend' if I'm not mistaken. Amphora is probably another. Yes, you can order both from SPC.

Posted 3 months ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

pinhead

Login to Send PM

I have a great fondness for Captain Black. That's another post all together.

Posted 3 months ago #
  56. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After trying through quite a number of the OTC pouches, I settled on SWR as my one pouch blend I like to keep. RLP-6 is my aromatic, but I used to put some mcclelland turkish ribbon with it...I have some of the ribbon but it suddenly got more precious? Anyone got a bulk oriental they can recommend for blending?

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  57. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D makes a blending oriental here:

Izmir Turkish

I ordered some and smoked a bowl straight up and it's excellent, however I haven't tried blending anything with it yet. Get's good reviews but probably won't compare to McClelland.

Posted 3 months ago #
  58. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

The Prince (original) and a cob?

The simple pleasures are bliss.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 3 months ago #
  59. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep making my way through all the codger blends I can get looking for the one. The one I always want on hand. I haven't nailed one down yet but it has been a fun journey.

Posted 3 months ago #
  60. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Diamondback - That specific combination - PA + MM - is one of the consistent root joys in my life. I would say also, that it is likely one of the best starting points for someone looking to be introduced to pipe smoking. - Sherm Natman

Posted 3 months ago #
  61. merc

merc

Login to Send PM

I love OTC tobaccos, I guess because it's all I ever smoke and if it was alright for my grandpa then it's alright for me. I like searching around gas stations and pharmacies for blends I haven't seen or tried. I can imagine that smoking OTC is like smoking phille blunts and when you smoke good stuff for a while and go back it makes you wonder why you even smoked it in the first place. Still love OTC

Posted 3 months ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

pinhead

Login to Send PM

Captain Black is mainly all I have available to me at the local tobacconist. Great price. Tin/pouch note, flavor - no tongue bite. Pleasant room note. What more could you ask for! 1Q and RLP-6 are my favorites.

Posted 3 months ago #
  63. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aside from St Brunos&Condor Some Most Popular and good quality OTC's here on the old continent,Mc Barens Scottish Mix,Golden Extras, All Amphoras brands,various Orlik brand offerings, Borkum Riffs and Clan Original,moreover there are many locally produced names which aren't exported anywhere out of native'production country, especially in France, Italy and Germany.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 3 months ago #
  64. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of Granger! Could smoke it all day...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  65. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Finally pulled the trigger on St Bruno. meh wasn't impressed.. it was a good smoke I think I was looking for something that wasn't there... (I had heard Lakeland like) but its a solid smoke!

I also got a tub of Capt Black Grape. I cant explain it.. It has become my after work smoke. loaded up in a cob, its a quick smoke, with strangely a great flavor. It burns fast which makes it great for an after work quick smoke. Late nights I peek into the cellar. O.o

Posted 3 months ago #
  66. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Need to get some Grangers later,love that tub' Art

Posted 3 months ago #
  67. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

Yes I do, but I grabbed a pouch of Prince Albert today while visiting tobacco shops. Grainger is next on the list!

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danimalia, ashdigger, mrslaughter, craig61a, cdmjr, jaytex969, georged