PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
I got a tin of DSK date code 151305 to try out and upon opening the tin I noticed a smokey raisin taste to it. My first thought was it's going to be a sweet tasting tobacco. I let my wife smell it as well and she confirmed my initial smell thoughts. Pulling out a flake I noticed that it had just the right amount of moisture or so I thought. I prepped it the first time by fold and stuff method putting some crumbs on top for kindling. When I went for the charring light some of the sweet raisin taste was there mildly. I then let the bowl rest for a few minutes and did my true light and man this flake is good. The mix of Kentuckys and Virginias were very well played throughout the bowl and as I progressed through the first third the underlying sweetness with the smokieness was very pleasing. The room note was one my wife not only could withstand but she actually enjoyed it the whole time. As I got closer to the bottom of the bowl it had a creamy flavor but reminded me of something like I would drink sitting around a campfire. DSK is one flake I would recommend.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Cool!
I've not had that one, but I smoke a lot of Mac Baren's Bold Kentucky and Old Dark Fired. I find myself liking anything with lots of Kentucky in it.
I'll add Orlik DSK to my list.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I got a tin in the post this morning. Now I have more than usual anticipation of opening a new tin. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The several dark fired blends I've tried, I've liked, both full strength and mild. It can pick up the flavors of any other tobaccos and enhance them while imparting a richness of its own, is one way to put it.

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
I just tried it in my Dr. Grabow Grand Duke and more of the spicy Kentucky flavors came out and it had my head spinning from the nic hit I got off of it but it was still good. I think with the grand duke being a deeper narrower bowl than my cob I think that it was more concentrated flavor wise. Not to mention I tried it rolled into a cylinder and stuffed rather than fold and stuffed.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I do love the DSK, really great stuff and that raisin note from the tin smells so good. I couldn't recommend it enough to someone looking for a different VA flake.

P

pipebuddy

I love it. I consider it not to be for everyday, though; but that really good treat one would indulge into every once in a while.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
A truly superb tobacco. Delicate sticky flakes with a strong plum molasses and porter tin note.

Smoking it I am reminded of plum porter and the fruit nut whiskey of Christmas cake. But it is the plum porter and tobacco that comes through the most. A stout smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.