PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I generally stay away from aromatics( American Style), I favor the Lakeland variety. The only cavendish blend I have enjoyed is Haddo's Delight. So when I ordered Orlik Racing Green in a 4 tin Orlik Deal from PipesandCigars.com, I didn't know what to expect. Racing Green consist of Bright Virginia, Burley, and Black Cavendish with a Citrus/Fruit/Custard sauce. The Virginias and Burley remind me of GH Grasmere Flake, where the topping sits in the background and waffs in and out between the tobaccos. The Black Cavendish smoothes the blend out, not really adding to the flavor. Nice bready aromas with a citrusy custard develop into a mild all day smoke. Not something I would grab everyday. But when I need a change up from C&D Buffalo Soldier and Old Joe Krantz, Racing Green will be in a Jar not to far from my finger tips.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like an acquired taste, but a fine change of pace if you like it. I'm with you on the Old Joe Krantz.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The fruit topping that I get is a creamy Guava and the tobaccos are really high quality. I DGT'D it for about two hours and the burley showed its head, which really redeemed this semi aromatic.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I have a tin of this I've yet to open. Sounds a little like Condor. Have you had that one to compare this one to? Thanks for the review BTW.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
ericusrex I haven't had Condor. Racing Green behaves like a LakeLand and is of course missing the tonquin bean treatment that I have grown to love in the GH tobaccos. The tin note has a rich Guava Citrus Custard pudding that sits lightly in the background in the smoke.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
tarak "Guava Citrus Custard Pudding" wouldn't inspire me either. A review I read on Tobaccoreviews.com described the flavor as "grapefruit". The citrus element that you find with Orlik Golden Sliced is there with Racing Green, but there is a Guava creaminess, perhaps a vanilla in the background that produces a custard notes not really grapefruit. IMHO. If you like Golden Sliced then you would like Racing Green.

Reactions: chopper

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
9months ago I was smoking quite a bit Of Orlik Racing Green. Loved the tobacco as well as the topping. Now, the topping has subsided and I am left with a tobacco that hasn't got the steam to carry on. It's now, mainly, a burley blend with stinky black cavendish notes. The Virginia sweetness must have been the topping all along. I love burley but not this. I'd prefer a C&D burley blend instead. If you venture into Racing Green, smoke it up. The topping is the main attraction. 9 months later this one is a Dumper. :(

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
perdurabo, thanks for the follow-up. Some aros really lose the topping, and in some cases that's good, when the base tobacco is prime.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Mso489 this is a case, to my taste, the tobacco is not up to par. Trying to bust the ghost with Haunted Bookshop, Racing Green leaves its footprints behind. Luckily I've busted this cob before.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Do you think this happens only after it's opened? Or do you think it's ruining inside a sealed tin as well?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Strange Davet, may be my taste and recollections. I remember Racing Green having a custard under tone. The citrus/guava flavor is obviously subjective here. Interesting,

Reactions: StrangeVice

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Finally got around to popping a tin of this. It reminds me very much of Germain's Plumcake. If you like that one (or are having too much trouble finding it) then give this one a try. Jiminks gave it 4 stars!

loomongous

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I enjoy RG from time to time. It is a change of pace smoke for me, not something I reach for often. But a well balanced aro. Not sure if

I will buy more, I have other aros I much prefer to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.