PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
As a new member of the pipe community, I'd like to think that eventually I can contribute in the same way that others have been contributing to my new knowledge. And like many of you, I'm a member of other forums and communities of other interests where I have a bit more experience and knowledge.
For every pipe I purchase, I also purchase at least three new tobaccos. The two tobaccos that arrived this week were McClellands Captain Cool, and Orlik Mellow Mixture. I wanted to try some Cavendish - which had been missing from my experience. I'm glad I purchased both.
Yesterday morning was Captain Cool's first smoke, and it was delightful. Truly cool - no bite - a mild aromatic fragrance. Today with my morning tea I enjoyed a bowl of Orlik Mellow Mixture. It was one of those smokes where everything comes together at one time - not necessarily a spiritual experience, but fairly close.
The light and dark tobaccos are a delight to the eyes. The tin note - well, I couldn't decide if it was a bit of vanilla or cherry - or both. I decided to use one of my cobs, as I'm a bit cautious with first smokes with aromatics, as I don't want to ghost my more expensive briars. There was no need to worry, however.
The casing must be very light, as the aromatic portion burned off fairly quickly, leaving a very pleasant, slightly sweet, tobacco flavor from top to bottom. This tobacco needed only one relight.
My palate is not yet sensitive enough - if it ever will be - to describe all the flavors that I read about in very glowing reports from others on the forum. All I can really say is that I enjoyed this tobacco very much - and its name really does suit the blend well, as it's a wonderful mellow way to begin the day with a cup of tea.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Great review, and a great photo to boot! I looks like you had a very nice morning indeed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice array of gear for a relaxed sip and smoke. I wish most of my pipe smoking was done with such

a good presentation. I just mixed tobaccos -- McClelland 5100 Red Cake, Lanes Burely WB, Dark

Obsession Cavendish and a little residual C&D Briar Fox, in a ceramic bowl. I'm leaving it to dry and

will perhaps have a pipe bowl tomorrow. My tea mug is a little more diner-esque than yours!

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Thanks for the kind words regarding the smoke and the photo. I have become something of a hedonist in recent years. Not a wealthy hedonist perhaps, but a hedonist nonetheless. The photo is merely the benefit of an iPhone app. The pipes and tobaccos from suggestions from the fine members of this forum. The tea I have been drinking for a number of years now. I purchase my teas from either Harney and Sons or the Teavana store at the local mall - all loose leaf teas, which I steep to my liking. I have learned to slow down my pace in life - and if that is hedonism, then it is a good thing.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Kinda makes ya want to head over to Andy's house for a bowl of your favorite. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.