PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
I received the 5 tins of this the other day. That night using the fold and stuff method, I loaded about 3/4 of a flake into my Dr.Grabow Omega. This was not a bad smoke per-say but it was not a one that just jumped out at me either. When I decided I had had enough, I dumped it out realizing just how PACKED this thing was! lol. It was a solid mass of baccy and boy it was tough getting out.
Well over the last day or so I just could not get that out of my head and decided the Omega's bowl was just too small for that flake so about a half hour ago I decided to load a full flake into one of the Nording Freehands I have. They have a very large bowl in comparison to my other pipes.
EUREKA! I must say,smoking the OGS in the larger bowl is a very dramatic difference! LOVE THE OGS! It seems the OGS is just right for smoking straight out of the tin! I did not dry this any at all. Very much enjoy the flavor.
Oh I must add that I also rubbed the flake out instead of fold and stuff! Either one of these could have contributed to such a change in the smoking experience for me. All I know is this works for me!
I like the price I paid for the tins as well compared to the S&G selections.
I will do as Cortez suggested though, I will finish the entire tin before ordering more. However, if the rest of the tin is as favorable as this bowl then it will be a main stay and will be stocked up on whenever I can!
All hail to the Nording Freehand and OGS!!!
hahahaha

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Matching a flake to a pipe is a quest of sorts. When you find that magic combination the delight is indescribable.

Many folks think that flakes work best in narrow chambers with some depth to them -- and even, perhaps, somewhat conical like a Dublin or some Danish free-hands. I think that's true, but a satisfactory workaround is to cube cut or rub them out.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of great flakes on the market: don't go overboard by blowing the budget on any one blend.

Take the journey.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I liked it when I smoked it. I can see why this is Denmark's most popular brand.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I love OGS. Fresh and aged are 2 different animals, but I like both. I keep a few 100 gr tins of this around now. I prefer this flake rubbed out. More flavor to me, and great flavors it has. One of my staples.

B

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sister sent me OGS as a Christmas gift, and I went through a similar process (in 2011). At first, it was

interesting but not compelling, but by the time you have perfected the experience, the right pipe and the

right prep and packing, it gets better. By the time I emptied the tin, I was disappointed to be out. I have

another tin on the way. The seeming simplicity of the flavor is eye-opening. I guess there is some blending

in it, but it is so successful, it tastes like one tobacco, but highly refined.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you like OGS, there are a plethora of other flakes I am pretty sure you would also enjoy. You should try cube cutting it one time and see if you like that preparation.
Other flakes you might want to try are:
Capstan Blue Flake

Aslteys 109 and 44, the 44 is tough to find most times

Dunhill Flake

Solani Silver Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage

bonneville

Lurker
Aug 14, 2013
I too love this stuff, ALMOST as much as Dunhill Flake. For the price, you can't to wrong. I have 40 tins of it in my cellar!

Status
Not open for further replies.