PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like writing positive reviews, but sometimes...
Summary: Sweet with citrus, this confection of tobacco is both boring and an irritant for its deranged topping.
Writers either like or intensely dislike writing negative reviews. It is with no pleasure that I say plain and simply that I hate this tobacco. The flakes have a foam rubber sponginess and are soaked in a citrus concoction that is both cloying and slightly less antagonistic in scent than CS gas. While it burns long and hot, and provides consistent sweet (and citrus-y) smoke, the flavor is one-dimensional and reminds me of candy given to very young children to keep them occupied. The simplistic flavor balance absorbs any Perique to be found here, and then the mixed fruit topping clobbers any remaining taste, leaving only the sweet. Orlik "Golden Sliced" reminds me of those horrible coffee cakes and stale grocery store donuts that one encounters in the morning meetings one least wishes to attend, and has a similar effect on my spirits. I have cellared this by flinging it into the back of my clothes closet where I hope it can drive away the musty scent, or even better take it on, so to spare me from this sugary fruit cocktail and its one-dimensional, happy-like-a-moron flavor. Yuck.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's probably just the sweet fruity natural Virginia flavor. It's pretty dominant. The grassy/hay notes come through from time to time, but it's mostly a sweet fruity Virginia flavor for me.
The Perique isn't very noticeable, I agree Stan.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
You seem almost angry about the OGS. ?
OGS is grassy, hay-like and light and sweet.

The perique is almost non-existent but it's there.

And it's pretty cheap. I have quite a few tins cellared.
I like negative reviews. It means more for me. :puffy:

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
OGS is a good smoke on my book. Regardless if there is a casing or topping. If there is, I haven't a clue.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Since the one day 4Noggins sale, which I passed on, I've smoked several bowls from a jar of two year old OGS. I have a couple more tins left. I like it fine. :P

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I have to concur that OGS has a topping/casing. I have smoked some truly natural virginia tobaccos in flake form. They have none of the flavors that any of my favorite flakes have that I would consider excellent. It's been an eye opener. Turns out I prefer my virginias slightly flavored. OGS burns a bit hot for my tastes though. I think most pipe tobacco is flavored/cased/topped in some form or other.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think most pipe tobacco is flavored/cased/topped in some form or other.
This seems to be the case in my readings (many here) at least as far as casing goes. The question of what is used to case it, and how well it works with the natural flavors, is a more ambiguous issue.
There is also the issue of its consistency... odd for tobacco to behave in quite that manner.
I am glad to see this review stirred such discussion in the community. And yes, jmill208, there is more for you. It's quite safe from me :)

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I think it is a great tobacco but I love VA's. I have 6 tins of OGS aging and usually smoke a tin a year. All VA's are better with 5+ years on them imho.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have 20 tins in my cellar aging. I like it too. Usually smoke it in early Spring to celebrate the return of warm weather.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just can't get adversarial about OGS. It's pleasantly low key. I had a long love-hate relationship with a tin of Mac Baren's Navy Mixture, I think it was called, something like thirty different tobaccos in a tinned loose tobacco. Something in there was good, but mostly it left the inside of my mouth inflamed. I tried letting it age. I tried mixing it. I tried smoking it really slow, in small pipes, in small sips, in a funk. Nothing worked, over several years. Finally a Forums member took it off my hands and said he really liked it. That's the way it goes -- one man's poison.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I like it and I LOVE the price! At $12.20 for 100g it's definitely a keeper in my book (are you reading this Mac Baren?).

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
As for those that claim there is no casing or for that matter like to think they are smoking "pure" tobacco consider this: Unless you have grown and cured your own tobacco or purchased whole leaf tobacco and shredded it yourself you are in no position to make such statements about casings.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I smell a new "Pipe Parts" segment. Brian Levine's humble opinion, of which he's the leading expert on, as to what is a casing and what is a top dressing. And just how much is added to our beloved blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.