PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We don't see many Orlik pipes on this forum and indeed, this is the first one I've owned. The Shape 9 was right my alley, so I took a chance on this one from another pipe forum classified. Fortunately, forum member CakeandDottle has the definitive Orlik information page on the web.

http://cakeanddottle.com/pipe-rack/1-dating-orlik-pipes

Checking Mike's page, I could see from the block, straight line stamping that this pipe was from the pre-Cadogan era (before 1981-1982). The Deluxe line is on the lower end and Mike likens it to the Comoys "The Guidall" line. After getting the pipe in hand, I agree with that comparison. The stem is in great shape, but it appears to be a pre-molded stem.

This is not a small pipe and very close in size to the GBD 9438. It weighs 51 grams, which is about what my 9438's weigh.

The pipe had a metal tube/stinger but I removed it. (now it passes a cleaner) The "L" beside the Shape number 9 denotes the Deluxe line

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Very nice and interesting pipe indeed.

I do have a Orlik Corona C190 MADE IN ENGLAND straight apple with brass O ring, real wonderful smoker.

I was wonder about dating of my Orlik and now I can guess it's before 1980.

Thanks for Info.

May 31, 2012
Very nice Al, you don't see that shape very often from Orlik,

thanks for sharing.
The nice stems are usually stamped hand cut, but sometimes not.

I've found that their regular pre-molds to be a little too thick at the bit,

with an odd soft angular profile as well.
I recently found one of my Holy Grails,

a 1920 Dugout with case, but it's in need of professional resto.
Very hard to find the older Orliks!

:!:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Al, it came out nicely. I'm curious, how does the size and weight compare to the Ashford?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is a good-looking pipe. Given the graining on the pipe, I wonder if it isn't a rather early specimen.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've found that their regular pre-molds to be a little too thick at the bit,

with an odd soft angular profile as well.
I haven't heard anyone suggest that maybe you could modify the stem to your liking with abrasive measures, and heat. Polishing can be achieved by hand OR with wheels, as can the removal of material. I guess we want to keep our estates as they were made originally, but, we do modify their insides.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys. It's a good start on this Orlik shape.
Dave: It is significantly larger than the Ashford shape. Bowl size is in the 9438 category and it's a wee bit longer than that GBD shape. Weight at 51 grams is 10 grams heavier than an Ashford.
I don't have any issue with the button profile (although I'm not opposed to filing one down if necessary!). For me, the mouth feel of some pre-molded stems isn't too my liking (The Guidall, etc.)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
so how did this pipe pan out? Was it a good smoker?
Mike, your grade assessment was spot on, it was very "Guidall" like and I eventually sold it. The stem was the weak point. I'll keep an eye on that Black Prince, thanks!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Al,
If your pipe is from before 1980, it isn't by much. The older De Luxe's say "London Made", and have better stems. But it was indeed always a middle-of-the-line type model. For quality, as Mike says, the Old Bond Street was the top (for normal production) followed by the Supreme and the Natural. Rarer, but beautiful, are the Straight Grains.
As you can imagine, though, finding examples of the higher grade models is pretty uncommon, and when they do surface they're often a billiard.
Jon

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Jon, where do you feel Virgin fell into the grade scale? I have a Virgin bent billiard with a brass rondel in the stem that I have been curious about. Nice pipe, but someone buffed the stuffing out of the stem and I'm wondering if it is worth getting a good replacement stem made.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mike: Can you post some nomenclature pictures of Old Bond Street and the other grades? Now I need to remember ORLIK details! Orlik pictures (close up nomenclature shots) are hard to come by.
This Supreme appears to have a "Hand Cut" stamp on the stem.

http://estatepipes.co.uk/shop/Orlik-Supreme-Bulldog-Shape-Pipe-1001
And a Virgin

http://estatepipes.co.uk/shop/Orlik-Virgin-London-Made-Bent-Billiard-581
Neither ads have good nomenclature shots.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Al,
The nomenclature can not only differ by model, but occasionally, I think, for a given model over time. I have notes on this subject somewhere, but it would take an earthmover to find them.
Although I don't have most of my Orlik files handy, I do recall that the Straight Grain dates back at least to the early thirties. The Supreme, I believe, had an intermittent production history: showing up in the late teens, gone during the twenties and most of the thirties, reappearing shortly before WWII, and in more or less continuous production thereafter (war-related disruptions aside). The Old Bond Street model wasn't introduced until after the war following the business's move to the location of that name.
Off-hand I don't remember much about the Virgin's production history or its ranking in terms of quality/pricing; I think it might have been a pretty late addition to the line. I will observe that while the listing in the link you provided is headed "London Made", the nomenclature actually says "Made in England". To me that's a clear indication of later production, probably associated with the relocation of the factory outside of London to Southend-On-Sea (which took place, incidentally, before the sale to Cadogan).
Best,

Jon

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I caught that too Jon. I guess Orlik sellers are just as prone to incorrectly list stamping as Sasieni Four/4 Dot sellers. Thanks for the info, that explains a near lack of nomenclature pix. I wish the old SmokersForums was still up, Mike had a lot of pix there that I would like to reference from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.