PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostybird

Lurker
Oct 14, 2017
New guy here. Just tried Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and absolutely love it. Looking for suggestions of similar blends. Thanks in advance.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Rosty, welcome to the forum. I've never tried Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky but I should imagine it's similar to Macbaren's Old Dark Fired and their Bold Kentucky.
I'm sure many more suggestions will be made in due course, this forum is a mine of information when it comes to tobacco blends.
Regards,
Jay.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I just got a couple of tins to try on the recommendation of a friend. Can’t wait to fire it up now that the weather is cooling down.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
From what I understand the Mac Baren DF blends are stronger in nicotine and with less sweet topping than the Orlik.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
Yes, I wouldn't compare the Orlik DSK with the Macbaren products. I would compare DSK to Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake or Newminster Superior Round Slices. These are both Kentucky forward blends with added sweetness to balance out the savory.

OK, first off, Dark Strong Kentucky is a Licorice flavored aromatic. I do not taste any of the Dark Fired in it at all. But, I speak of my own tastebuds and will not argue with someone who says they actually tastes it. But, to me it is a balance of a subtle tobacco burley taste with the licorice topping. It is a unique taste, but I have wondered about the name, it is rather misleading in that it is neither really all that dark nor strong.
Black Pool by Esoterica (I know I know, almost totally unobtainable, but it is very similar)

Maybe try Sutliff's Great Outdoors is... kinda close?
Both of these are not flakes, but I am just going by my taste buds not the "look" nor composition of the blend.

I didn't think having actual dark fired was essential, since I cannot taste it at all. Nowhere near as good as MacBaren's ODF, IMO.

May 4, 2015
I can't offer anything useful regarding the question, but outside of Lakelands, Bold Kentucky comes the closest to being a blend I'd say I dislike.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Rosty, what did you like about it? Was it the sweet, licorice tones or ? Answers would help with suggestions. McConnell's Mature is a flake with interesting, maybe similar taste; maybe McClelland 5115 or GH Dark Scented Flake...

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea, I don't get much dark fired flavor either. The licorice top note is amazing, but this blend is so monotone. I smoke this for the top note exclusively. Expecting anything else from it is setting one's self up for failure. If looking for a little something different with Dark fired, try C&D Three Friars. This stuff is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.