PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Thinking of buying this 100 yr old pipe but the stem doesn't look right
Any thoughts from the more knowledgable (than me) out there?
$_57.JPG

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It might be original. Post close-ups of both the tenon and button from a couple angles for a better assessment.
What looks promising in that shot is the button looks radiused, and the diameter of the stem's base looks right in relation to the band (most rep stem makers leave them level because it's much easier & faster to do.)
The odd, too-straight bend could be the result of the pipe being left somewhere hot like a car dashboard, which can soften vulcanite enough that it relaxes & tries to return to its original shape, so ignore that---it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Looks original to me. Does it have a case? That will tell you if the stem has been replaced pretty quickly. Hawke has a Calabash I gave him years ago and you can see the stem was replaced some time in the 1960s as the button is ever so slightly wider that the case. Thats a very nice pipe if you are into calabashes.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Perhaps someone straightened it, the line of oxidisation makes me think that it was immersed in hot water or something. Nice pipe though, I've been eyeing them for awhile now.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I was able to really enlarge the photo without losing any clarity as it was a high definition photo. If that is not original it is a dang fine replacement since it fits the band area so well it nearly matches where the gourd meets it as well, if you buy it you'll have a beautiful Calabash. Regards.....

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.