Tags:  No tags yet. 

Original Rattray's Pipes

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by greeneyes
  • Latest reply from lochinvar
  1. greeneyes

greeneyes

Login to Send PM

About a month ago I finally had the opportunity to realize one of my dreams as a collector of old UK pipes. These three beautiful Rattray's pipes, original shop-branded from the shop in Perth, Scotland, appeared on eBay. These don't make too many appearances--the last time I saw one was perhaps a year and a half ago, and I missed out on the opportunity. For almost 20 months I'd been scanning the internet, hoping that one of these beauties would make an appearance. Although two of them are smaller than I generally prefer, the grain on them is excellent. It brings me lots of joy just looking at them, let alone smoking them, so I thought I'd share the photos. Cheers!

-greeneyes (hope the photos posted correctly--if not I'll spend the next half hour editing this post)

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. greeneyes

greeneyes

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

Love the brandy. Love the lovat. Love the straight grain . . . what a trio

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on the nice find

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Colour me jealous.

Congrats!

Smoking can't be bad for you. It cures Salmon.

-Unknown-
    Posted 1 week ago #
  6. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

:clap

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking pipes, I love the original Rattray items. I have a beautiful unsmoked shop pipe, a small Lovat as well as a John Cotton small Lovat shop pipe (those Scottish tobacconists loved their Lovats). Have you ever run across any information on who supplied Rattray? I've never really found any information on that.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

I have an unsmoked medium zulu shaped pipe stamped Rattray Perth & naturel. I think it was made by John Redman.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. greeneyes

greeneyes

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I'm unsure who might have manufactured the pipes. Only the small lovat has a shape number and the stampings don't suggest any particular script that was typical of a certain pipemaker (that I'm aware of). Another thing is that there isn't much of a history available about original Rattray's pipes, so I'm entirely unsure what age they might be. I know there is at least one Rattray's pipe catalog out there. There's just so few pipes out there and such scant documentation that it makes it difficult to draw any reliable conclusions.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes I have that catalog, very interesting. I guess with family operations like Rattray's the secret went to the grave unless someone has the firms papers. I had not heard Redman, but looking at it and some of their examples, it could be.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, alaskanpiper, nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, danimalia, upnorth1, cshubhra, canadianpuffer, jaytex969, scottfree