PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Anyone around here smoke much PS 306 (English Oriental Supreme)? I've been wondering whether it is kind of a misnomer. According to Tobacco Reviews, it contains Black Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish and Virginia. But the description reads as follows: "Peter Stokkebye's classic blend ... brings together the finest mellow Georgian Virginias, Black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprus Latakia, while evoking an exotic flair uniquely its own."

Did they just forget to include Oriental/Turkish leaf in the description, or is that taken for granted because of the name? Or are they considering the Latakia an Oriental?

To me it has such a similar flavor profile to PS 17 (English Luxury), which does not have any Oriental, that I'm not at all sure I can taste the Oriental in it.

By the way, I have the same exact question about C&D London Squire, which is advertised as a Balkan, and which Tobacco Reviews lists as containing Oriental/Turkish, but is described as follows: "C&D's hearty Latakia base blended with Burleys, Virginias, and unsweetened black Cavendish for body."

Where's the Oriental? Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
According to JimInks
The smokey sweet Cyprian latakia is obvious without being forceful. The Oriental/Turkish adds a little wood and smoke along with some spice and a very slight sour note, and as indicated by the name, a major star, though less stronger than it could be, which is an observation and not a complaint. The burleys are minor players, but they show up now and then with a little nuttiness. The black cavendish is rich, sweet with a touch of vanilla that rounds out the blend with a nice creaminess as a background player. The Virginias are a little grassy and a little earthy as they form the base of the blend. Well balanced and though not very complex, it's a nice way to enjoy latakia and Orientals all day long without over filling your senses. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns at a reasonable pace, cool, and even with few relights and little moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste. Perfect for a beginner in this genre, but the experienced English smoker may find it a nice change from heavier mixtures. Can be an all day smoke.
I would trust his palate on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.