Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Dear Forum,
Does anyone have a suggestion for a flake containing Oriental or Turkish leaf?
I have found Balkan style flakes with Latakia, but its not the same.
Thanks

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
First, welcome to the forum.
Secondly, most flakes are Virginias, although there are exceptions. The one that immediately comes to mind that is a true flake - not a crumble cake, like Penzance - is Sam Gawith Balkan Flake. Ten Russians is, IIRC, a broken flake, as is C&D Star of the East Flake. These last 2 are lat heavy blends, but do have some orientals. (It's been a while since I have smoked either one, though, so my memory may be faulty.) :puffy:

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Hi Jud,
Thank you for your answer.
Giving you comments I have found J. F. Germain and Son's "Rich Dark Flake" which should be an European alternative to "Stonehaven", which again should be like the "Penzance"!?!. (I'm from Denmark, but can't seem to change it in the settings, and some brands seems to differ across the pond).
I enjoy pressed tobaccos(flakes, broken flakes, medallions/coins, plug.. etc.) as they smoke cooler, and the packing of the pipe becomes more of a ritual :puffy:
I find it a bit strange that some sorts of tobacco are common in flakes and others are not. If anyone have an idea why please share it. :puffpipe:
I will give the "Rich Dark flake" a try, but please don't hold your recommendations back!
ps I don't min Latakia, but I prefer it to be in the background.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forum, plet! :clap: I hope you can find some of these...
CAO/Dan: Patriot Flake (Va. / Oriental)

Sam Gawith: Sam's Flake (Va. / Oriental/ w/tonquin)

Low Country Pipe & Cigar (SmokingPipes.com): Waccamaw (Va./ Izmir/ Perique)

G.L. Pease: Sextant (Kentucky / Va / Latakia / Oriental / Rum); & Quiet Nights (Va/Latakia/Perique/Oriental)

McClelland (PCCA): Boston 1776 (Va. / Oriental)

Ashton: Old London Pebblecut (Va. / Oriental / Perique) (? not sure if this flake is broken)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I have come to enjoy Robert McConnell Scottish Flake lately. So much so that I bought several tins for the cellar. It is labeled as "A basic mixture of Mottled Red Leaf Virginia and Carolina, with a small amount of Havana leaf and Turkish."
It's become one my favorite day time smokes lately.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Thank you guys!!!
This is already a lot to look into, but it looks very interesting!!
- Keep suggestions coming :puffy:

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
So, I finally got hold of a tin of SG Balkan Flake on a holiday in Vienna, Austria. I think I have been lucky with this tin. I had to use a screwdriver to open it due to the vacuum, and there was sugar crystals on the flakes. The paper inside the tin was soaked through with juice, and the flakes inside seems like fermented leaves almost decomposing. My guess the is the tin is more than 3 years old.
The taste is sooooo mellow and smooth; I can't believe it. This is true pipe pleasure! :mrgreen:
If this is the benefit of aging I will increase my stock of tins in the celler. If its the Balkan flake that is just like this I will have found a new favorite :wink:

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
+ 1 for Scottish Flake. It is really good. I smoke C&D Sunday Picnic these days, and it is VA/Per/Turkish. Can be recommended.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
I will add another vote for C&D Sunday Picnic. Truly great stuff IMHO. Nice score on the aged tin of Balkan Flake.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
C&D Sunday Picnic and Butera Golden Cake sounds very interesting. I will look in to that! :puffpipe:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
GLP Embarcadero might be up your alley, OP, if you are still watching this thread... I haven't had it but I've been reading quite a bit about it.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
McC bombay court has turkish blended in, the bombay extra has perique. i think both contain latikia and orientals. good luck... i think both are a broken flake as well...
mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.