PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ml23

Lurker
May 14, 2012
Hello Everyone,
Being without a local B&M tobacco/pipe shop, I think the only way I will start and continue in this hobby will be to confine most of my purchases to online vendors.
That being the case (and lacking knowledge of this subject), I was wondering if/when I order tobacco online, how are taxes/duties calculated? Am I going to pay the rate of the state in which the shop from which I am ordering is located or is it calculated based on the destination/delivery state? If you live in a state with exorbitantly-high (i.e. repressive) taxes on non-cigarette tobacco, can one save money purchasing online if one is savvy enough?
Thanks again for the information/advice.
All the best,
Michael

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hi Michael, and welcome.

I recommend that you contact some of the sponsors of Pipesmagazine.com.

You can find their links in the left column... just scroll down.

Email them and ask... They will be very responsive and helpful...

And, will have accurate information on taxes and the like.
Again... Welcome aboard! :puffy:

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
It depends on what state you live in. Some e-tailers are required to collect taxes for the state you live in, and some states as of right now don't collect taxes on internet sales. I'm sure as time goes on, more and more states are going to start collecting taxes on internet sales.

ml23

Lurker
May 14, 2012
Lawrence and markw4mms,
Thank you for the replies and for the suggestion to contact e-tailers directly: a very simple/logical solution (and beneficial for establishing a customer-retailer relationship).
All the best,
Michael

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
We are all morally obligated to pay taxes to our state of residence at the prevailing rate.

Right now they don't seem to have a mechanism to enforce it. :nana:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I am in Australia and buy all my tobacco online. I only order 4 tins or so and have not been taxed.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It depends on what state you live in. Some e-tailers are required to collect taxes for the state you live in, and some states as of right now don't collect taxes on internet sales. I'm sure as time goes on, more and more states are going to start collecting taxes on internet sales.
+1. In Alaska, for example, if you buy non-cigarette tobacco for resale off the 'net you are required to pay taxes to the state based on the wholesale price ( 75% on pipe tobacco ). Cigs and RYO are taxed regardless of wheter you buy to resell or smoke yourself.
Neither the etailers nor the state charges me Alaska tobacco tax. But if I was to order 50 tins and 30 pounds a month and have them shipped to Stan's Pipe Shack, then I would have to pay up.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
New York state (pipesandcigars.com and my home state) only collects taxes on the delivery address. If it is shipping out of New York they do not collect taxes. When I place a large order from them I have it delivered to my company's home office in Houston and they ship it to me.... The 75% tax is worth a couple of extra days wait!!!!

unit562

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I live in Australia and as long as i order less then 200 grms customs leaves my stuff alone.

If they ask me to pay excise I will get them to return the shipment to the vendor and pay the shipping fees again and maybe they will let it pass.

But so far so good, I believe that reasonible taxes are reasonible - and here in Au, the goverment taxes tobacco as a income raising exercise with no public health interest.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Reasonable tax's, like 9% is fine. 75% is Criminal. Thank god I don't have to pay internet tobacco tax's.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I live in Canada so it is always a challenge. I confine my purchases to one online vendor and they are terrific. Contact the sponsers and have a chat with them. They are, for the most part, awsome!, and will work with you in any way they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.