PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
How do you Cellar for 10 plus years with these mason jars, if the lids only last up to 18 months?

Jan 8, 2013
How do you Cellar for 10 plus years with these mason jars, if the lids only last up to 18 months?
I saw lids with that label yesterday, and I'm assuming this means if the jar is repeatedly used. If not, then the "new and improved" lids are crap.

May 4, 2015
They're talking about the guarantee on the seal for ACTUAL canning and preservation. IE - boiling the jars with food in them to seal and sterilize them. They don't much think about tobacco when they're producing the jars and lids, guys.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
FDA recommendations are 1 year to 18 months for high sugar foods. But the manufacturers state that the seal material is good for 5 years or more. Nothing if forever, except for cutter tops. Tins fail as well. Some coat the join with paraffin to make the seal last longer.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
IMHO, if sealed properly the first time, and if stored in a stable environment (minimal change in temperature which could cause expansion and contraction) and if essentially left alone (not moved, bumped or exposed to vibration), I see no reason mason jars wouldn't work perfectly fine for 10 years and beyond. I would trust that more than any tin for storage. I think the paraffin is like wearing suspenders with a belt.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
From what I have read even here on the forums, once you remove any style of tobacco from the original tin then the aging changes a bit. That being said, if you do not open a jar once you fill and seal, I would think you could store for longer than 5 years even if a slight air exchange happens. The tobacco shouldn't dry out much and a little air at that point wouldn't be a big deal. Obviously, check the jars from time to time. Drying out or the opposite, molding, really shouldn't be of much concern unless very, very long term (in the case of drying out).

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
One can also purchase lids only and replace the lid for a fresh silicone seal if it appears brittle or old.

Status
Not open for further replies.