PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
I have heard good things about both and looking to try new blends. Hopefully they are everything I'm anticipating. Any feedback on your experiences with these two is welcomed.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Grousemoor.... :clap:
Here's a review I did a while back... Still a huge fan.
Samuel Gawith Grousemoor

:puffy:
Edit: It's great fresh, right out of the tin.... But bone dry is great too!

It's one of those few blends where the flavor actually becomes more lively the drier it is.

IMHO... YMMV

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
FVF is for the lover of espresso, huge red wines, maduro cigars, dark chocolate and the like. It is deep and rich and just s fantastic smoke. Sip it very slowly or you will miss all that it has to offer. Grousemoor is unlike any aromatic you will ever smoke. Not cased in a cloying syrupy sauce reminiscent of car air fresheners but rather delicately perfumed with a top scent of lavender and lemon grass. I would happily smoke it unscented as well. Both are fantastic tobaccos. FVF goes very well with coffee or whisky and Grousemoor is a perfect accompaniment to tea. Let us know what you think.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Grousemoor is one of my favourites now. When I smoked my first bowl I wasn't so sure. It was and is the most unusual tobacco I have smoked. It is the only tobacco I will crave if I don't smoke a bowl for a week or so. Hope you enjoy.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
I've tried Grousemoor but haven't tried FVF yet. It's been a love hate relationship with Grousemoor. The first time I tried it, I took a few puffs, and it reminded me of that old lady purfume, you know the one that stings your nose and I had to dump the bowl. Second time around, about six months later I tried it again and was able to finish the bowl it was decent. I'll give it another try in a few more months hopefully it'll be good.
Side note, the first time I smoked it was in a meer, the few puffs I was able to stomach ghosted it for the next two/three bowls.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
I'm excited to try and even if I don't like the first impressions I will put away and try at a later date. Its strange how tastes change frequently..I had a tin of MacBarens mixture flake and hated it, several months go by, tried some just today and wasn't half bad. That's why I keep everything I try, you never know down the road.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Both are outstanding blends.
Grousemoor : I happen to prefer mine fresh out of the tin since it burns a bit too fast and hot for me if it's dry. I recommend smoking it slow and in a small bowl for the first few times. Flavor is absolutely amazing : field flowers, bergamot, hay ... and it integrates with the tobacco rather than being a top note. Very smooth for a straight VA. Again, smoke slow or it has a fairly nasty bite, though very subdued.
FVF : It's been a bit hard to find, haven't smoked it in a while. I remember it having quite the full VA taste and a fairly good dose of Vitamin N. Maybe someone else would chime in with a more detailed description.
Lastly, IMO all McBaren blends require some drying out time to get the best taste out of them.....

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have one tin of Grousemoor because of this forum. To be honest it's cellared. I've got a good idea of what it will taste like, thanks again for the detail of the forums, and the value/trade in 5-10 years from now is the only reason I bought it. I've been working on a list of brands that will go out of production when the hammer has effect, and it's one I feel will go in the first wave. I’ll probably buy a few more.
FVF is a great tobacco, no candy involved, welcome to the real pipe tobacco side. *hides* If you've been smoking aromatics, or heavily mixed brands, this and BBF is a great place to start down the line of VA. Better stop before I get smacked.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Its all good dragonslayer, I smoke a bit of everything really, whatever I'm in the mood for as I reach for a pipe. I've really been enjoying aros lately but have on hand some strong English as well as straight Virginia's so shouldn't be a rude awakening.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
FVF, I love and recently ordered 5 ounces of it in bulk from P&C. Grousemoor I have heard is great for warding off evil spirits. But I don't dare smoke it, Yuck! It wasn't for me bro but I hope you like it. I'm pretty sure it is one of those love it or hate it types.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Actually I confess to having some aromatics around. A couple oz.’s of Dansk black, 1Q and even Pistachio lols. I rarely smoke them, but every couple weeks I’ll pack a bowl and enjoy it. It’s just my opinion and we know what they’re worth, VA’s are a separate line of smoke just like the others. To enjoy the buildup into the VA/VAPers the best start is in its more pure state, then build and really pick out the tastes of each blend. Through my experience I found things that would have been missed jumping into a heavier brand. That’s why I’m so excited about AK. Tasting all the small differences leads me to the conclusion of not just a very good smoke. Giving this 5 years and my taste buds see a beautiful ageing and blending into something really special. The varieties of the blends will chemically coming together, binding with the ageing VA leaf. IMO only. Using only my experience of 25 years of cigar smoking and ageing, not pipe tobacco. Pipe tobacco is a much more radical flavor change, so I could be way off the mark.

mctrav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2012
Long Island
Haven't tried grousemoor yet but FVF.. Sweet lord its good stuff! Glad I grabbed a tin but not glad I only got one.

Status
Not open for further replies.