PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
In view of recent threads outlining popular methods of pipe loading, while all valid, the methods lacked one thing, repeatability. The following is my simple process I have devised to ensure an optimized pipe smoking experience that is repeatable.
First I determine and record the bowl capacity/volume of each of my pipes. This was determined by filling each pipe with liquid, such as whiskey. I then poured the contents from the bowl into a graduated cylinder taking careful note of the measurement. I repeated this process several times to ensure an accurate measure. This value is recorded and maintained for each pipe in a notebook.
Since we now know the volume, we need to find the weight of tobacco for a proper packing density for the tobacco in the bowl. This packing density can vary from tobacco to tobacco, and is optimized through repeated trials. Once determined, this number will be recorded for future reference. (Note - Moisture content can affect this value, but this topic will not be covered at this time.)
Determining packing density. Although there are many loading and packing techniques, for this example we will determine the proper 3-step packing density. Place your pipe on a digital scale. Gravity fill the bowl to approximately ½ full. At this time either record the value on the digital scale, or zero the scale. Now lightly tamp down the tobacco, and while doing so record the value on the digital scale. This will be the amount of force being applied to the tobacco on this initial packing. (If you didn’t zero the scale, and only recorded the initial value. The difference between that value and the tamping pressure value will be the tamping pressure.)
Again fill the bowl, this time about ¾ full. Tamp down the tobacco as before; this time using about 33% greater pressure. This force can be determined from the digital readout of the scale. Record this value.

For the third and final step, fill the bowl completely. Using approximately 66% greater pressure than used in step one, tamp the tobacco. As before, record the digital scale readout. These three values provide you with a repeatable pipe packing density process. This process is performed for each tobacco and the values are kept in notebook for further reference. The packing pressure and ratios can be varied to determine optimal packing pressure for each tobacco and pipe.
We can now determine the packing density. Re-zero the digital scale, and carefully remove the tobacco from the pipe bowl and place the contents on the scale. Record the weight. We now have our weight of tobacco and using the volume of our bowl, we can now determine the average tobacco pack density from our pipe. Density is simply mass divided by volume. This is done by dividing the measured weight of tobacco removed from our pipe by the measured volume we determined in the beginning. In the metric system our calculated value will be some number with units of grams/cubic centimeter. (Note for simplification we will assume that 1 ml = 1 cc).
We now have a repeatable packing process and method to determine optimal packing density.
Continued experimentation with varied packing pressures will optimize your pipes performance. By recoding these optimized values for each pipe, and tobacco, you are ensured of a repeatable smoking experience.
Happy piping.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
To make sure the pressure is right, you can fix your pipe tamper to a drill press. You can use tape to fasten it to a bit or if you are willing to sacrifice a bit and a tamper drill part way into the tamper and then fix the bit inside with epoxy. That way you can just use the chuck any time you want to load the pipe. Then you can carefully turn it until the pressure reads exactly 33 or 66% on the scale! Don't turn the drill on while tamping, though. :rofl:

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Wow can't I just push the baccy in the bowl with My finger hit it with the flame from My Zippo puff and enjoy? :rofl:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I tried your method and it sucks. All my pipes taste like whiskey now!

Jul 15, 2011
My method for packing is to measure out the optimum amount of tobacco within 13/16ths of a gram, then put the tobacco in my teleportation chamber whereby quantum forces in the subatomic atmosphere will shoot the tobacco through fiber-optic cyber space and it will arrive, perfectly packed, in my pipe...
Or...something...

Jul 15, 2011
The flux capacitor taints the quality of the tobacco, so I dont use one. Instead, my teleportation pods use a hydronic quartz crystal mechanism that filters impurities out of the space time continuum...you know what, screw this. Wheres my pipe? :rofl:

Jul 15, 2011
The flux capacitor taints the quality of the tobacco, so I dont use one. Instead, my teleportation pods use a hydronic quartz crystal mechanism that filters impurities out of the space time continuum...you know what, screw this. Wheres my pipe? :rofl:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Gecko, I really like your simple method.

I am a bit concerned though with your math. Its obviously the downfall of a brilliant new method.

Without studying the effect of relative humidity on tobacco volume, and creating an equation to compensate for this, as well as measuring the percentage of growth in carbon which reduces capacity over time, and factoring in the combustion properties of common flavoring agents and their effect on burn rates for various tobacco types, theres just no way for me to feel confident loading a pipe.

I think you will see a notebook just doesn't cut it.

We need a comprehensive software package to determine these things.

I am waiting to load another bowl, until we have worked out the kinks.

Please advise.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Juni.....Juni.....you forgot to empty the whiskey from the bowl during the measuring process. I have found that not drinking to excess while performining the optimization process is essential. The use of the drill press for consistent pressure through the center line axis of the bowl is a good method, however, not everyone has a drill press on hand. I tried to keep the process as simple as possible for the average pipe owner.
Good fun everyone. I just wanted to draw attention to how silly one can get with this whole pipe loading process. At the end of the day, if you find something that works for you, use it, and enjoy yourself.
Smoking a pipe is supposed to be a low stress enjoyable event. Make it so. Have a great day. :puffpipe:

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
OK folks, I have been smoking pipe less than a month so take this for what it is... All these methods for me where counter intuitive. So far I keep coming back to scooping it in and pressing down, then, wait for it...repeat. I dont like to tamp when filling because I cant feel the tobacco and when tamping it in its always to tight. I can't be bothered with all the technical hoo ha, I just like my pipes and want to get them smokin :puffpipe:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I'm still waiting to load my pipe until I hear more from Gecko........ This is starting to suck..... I almost want to just stick some tobacco in there with my finger, but I know it cant possibly be done that easily.......

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Keep doing what works for you spyder. In the end, if it works for you, does it matter. If one guy finds he gets a better loading using his big toe, great. I would just be concerned about the odor, however, and recommend he sticks with aros.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Gecko:
Several issues obviously arise.
-- I live at 2 meters AMSL. Can you advise if your testing was conducted at or near sea level and, if not, provide the necessary conversion?
-- Likewise I'll need conversion charts tied to latitude, longitude, barometric pressure,ambient temperature, relative humidity, pollen count, MLB standings, the DJIA (as well as the FTSE and Nikkei), Euro:dollar:pound exchange rates.
-- I'd like to see the method adapted, as may be necessary, to confirm with the practices and taboos of Christians (including both reform and Arminian sects), Jews (orthodox, conservative and reform), Muslims (shia and sunni), Hindus, Buddhists, Animists, Sikhs, and Druids.
-- Most of my in-laws are Cuban and a couple smoke pipes. After 20 years, my Spanish is fine for casual social situations, but not up to tech manual standards. Kindly provide a translation into idiomatic Caribbean Spanish. I also have friends in France, Canada, Belgium, South Africa, the Philippines, Spain, Honduras, and Brazil who smoke pipes. So I'll need versions in French (both Parisian and Quebecois), Flemish, Afrikaans, Tagalog, Castillian Spanish, Central American Spanish, and Portuguese.
-- You have utterly ignored flakes, plugs, cakes and the like. In addition, you fail to describe how to adapt the method to aromatics, latakia, perique, cavendish, Virgina, burley, and so on -- and all the available blends. I will expect a an appendix containing the necessary conversions for these as well.
But otherwise, fine effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.