PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2018
So recently, I ordered and received the Golden Triangle Perique Collection and after getting it and looking at the tins in my hand, a question ran through my head that hadn't previously occurred when I was ordering it... What do I do with it? It's a limited release, so it's collectable, but then it becomes a "cellared" collected item. I could either smoke it straight or try to blend my own blend to try and taste the different regions if I wanted to smoke it. Then all the questions of blending arise... What it boils down to is a two part question, to smoke it or collect and store it? If I smoke it, to blend or not to blend? If I collect it, for how long or to what end do I keep it? So, I ask my fellow pipe enthusiasts, what is your opinion, to smoke or collect this collection of perique?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Other than the St. James Perique, looks like each one is a blend of its own. I say smoke them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think that collection was created so the Perique connoisseur could do side by side comparisons. So, I say open the blended offerings and do the comparisons when the spirit moves you -- which seems to be right now.
Except for the 100% St. James Perique, there's no need to blend any of the other tins with something else, they're ready to go.
When you've decided which you like best, you can stock up on that one in particular.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
These blends were done by a fine blender so as to showcase a region's perique. Even if you had blending experience I would advise to taste what Mr. Ouellette wanted you to taste. If you're going to blend or tweak I would start with a simple blend of 1 or 2 components. As regards aging/collecting, I've moved squarely into the "smoke it now" camp, although enough age on a Va blend can be magic. Tobacco cellared has a way of staying there.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
If you're thinking of cellaring for profit I'd say it's a huge risk. Those blends aren't exactly flying off the shelf. If there's little demand now, then there will likely be little demand in the future for them....unless something changes like Jiminks giving it a 5 out of 4 stars ("this one goes up to 11"), or it gets some other fabulous press. If you're cellaring for your own future enjoyment then you need to pop open all of them now to find out which ones you like and invest while they're still available.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Yes, smoke them. Otherwise, you will not know which one you prefer if you decide to stock up on them. If you like it now, odds are you will enjoy them with some age but will not know if you do not try them first.

Status
Not open for further replies.