PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
im wanting a pipe for Christmas and im leaning towards a straight Bulldog. brand is not important ( i was thinking about Peterson but ive been hearing on here about quality issues, and im not near a B&M so ill be ordering online.) what can you guys suggest for a pipe? thanks in advance.

Jeremy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
As Baraon suggested, give us a price range and I am sure we can make a number of great recommendations for you. I would stay away from Peterson for sure.

Aug 1, 2012
A few thing will help with suggestions.
1) Price (as many have said)

2) Finish, rusticated or smooth?

3) Estate ok or just new pipes?

4) Bowl size?

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
@baron and harris, i didnt give much info i guess haha so,

1)around $100

2)no real preference in finish, can go for either

3)im thinking new because i dont know much about restoring a pipe yet

4)again, no preference there either.

i know thats still not a lot of info but any help would be appreciated.

@gnatjulio, ill check that one out, thanks.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
If you insist on going with something new i would strongly suggest spending more than $100, the quality really jumps after that just my opinion though

Aug 1, 2012
I don't recommend buying from the seller if you aren't used to cleaning up a pipe but that is a really nice pipe.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Im not super picky about making them look brand new but that one looks ready to smoke to me

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
If you insist on going with something new i would strongly suggest spending more than $100, the quality really jumps after that just my opinion though
I can agree with this insofar if you include "appearance" as part of quality.
In all actuality you can get a pipe that will smoke great and last you your life (properly cared for) for less than $50:
One of my favorite pipes is my $32 Doc Grabow Royalton
That Erik Nording "FS" was an estate pipe in great condition for $42 on ebay
And the pearwood root sitter was carved by some unnamed craftsman in the Ukraine, and went for under $30 on ebay
4WMSI.jpg

I did put new stems on the Nording and the Pearwood sitter, but stems are found online for less than $5.
Now this doesn't mean that if I had stacks of benjamins falling out of my pockets, that I wouldn't be buying custom pipes from some of the particularly talented artisan pipe makers out there ... I totally would, because they're amazing. But I'd be willing to bet none of them would smoke better than my Doc Grabow Royalton bent rhodesian.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Well when it comes to estates yeah you can get a great pipe for less than 100 but i was talking brand new pipes. But yes i agree with you about the appearance factor and just having a good smoker but you also have to be careful with the quality of briar youre getting at the lower price pipes.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
You are right about that. Low grade briar can burnout pretty easily, I only just figured this out when I carved a pre-bored pipe making kit that was made from a grade 'F' block. Got burnout on the first smoke.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Contact Lonestar on this forum. He can make a pipe for you for maybe just a hair more than that. He also has a collection of nice pipes that he sells. He's a good guy and won't leave you dissatisfied.

Aug 1, 2012
Didn't even think of that Baron. Great idea, he is a real stand-up guy and I love the look of all his pipes I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.