Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Opinions on PS Bulk Flakes

(33 posts)
  1. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bullseye Flake and Navy Flake - opinions?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

Smoked Bulls Eye Flake first time today. Solid smoke with good nicotine and tobacco taste. Hay and musty, peppery taste. Did bite me a bit but it's probably me smoking too fast. Perique might be a tad too much for me, not sure.
    Got a 24oz box, 23oz went into the jar to age; I hear it shines with about a year on it.

I do have Navy Flake too, haven't smoked it yet; gonna age it too.

They are cheap and readily available, I think those who smoke flakes must at least try PS offerings.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LBF is a bit basic but a decent blend nonetheless. In contrast to cleidophoros, I don't find that it has much perique at all. It is way milder than Escudo which is my Va/per benchmark... (And that is without smoking the cavendish cores - it'd be even milder if I kept that in the mix)

I only had a sample of LNF but I am not in love with it. I didn't give it much experimentation, though - I will wait and see if my opinion changes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

About perique; I believe latakia is the nectar of gods and perique is the invention of devil. So I guess even a pinch of perique is too much for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

See, and I think Life without Perique would not be worth living. To each his own, I guess

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love LBF... I almost always 'add' a "pinch of Perique".

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cleidophoros

cleidophoros

Banned

Login to Send PM

Heresy!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the Bullseye Flake. I'm down to my last coin so it's about time to order some more.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About perique; I believe latakia is the nectar of gods and perique is the invention of devil. So I guess even a pinch of perique is too much for me.

I like 'em both, but prefer my latakia in smaller helpings, and I'm pretty content just smoking perique straight, though do slightly prefer it in about equal shares with bright VA's.

Anybody here tried any fire cured Kentucky leaf by itself?

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

LNF, an every day smoke for me,,one of my favorites.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the LBF. Actually found myself craving it a couple of weeks after my first couple of bowls. Tasted better after a few months. Cant wait to try it after a year in the jar. Sitting on 4 1/2 lbs. Gotta try added the perique. Also like the LNF. Got a pound jarred up. Been meaning to try the twist.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LBF is really nice. The VA's are sweet and can burn a little hot/bite. The cavendish core also burns hot. However, if you're careful and smoke slowly, it's really good. It's best if you don't fully rub it out and leave the cavendish center somewhere in the middle of your bowl. That way you get a little fruity/sweet "surprise" about mid-way through the bowl. Good stuff that mellows after 6mos or so in the jar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LBF is the only bulk blend I buy. Delicious stuff for the price - best "value" proposition in all of tobaccodom.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Bullseye Flake and Navy Flake - opinions?

I can only speak to the Bullseye, no having smoked the Navy, but I have smoked quite a bit of the LBF.

To me, LBF is like Escudo and Davidoff Flake Medallions but not near the quality of either and has less actual Perique.

That said, LBF for what it is, shines just the same. It is a bargain price-wise, thus a very good value and it ages amazingly well -- not just the virginia but what Perique there is in LBF holds up and the Black Cavendish blooms -- really on point.

It does take 2-3 years of proper cellaring to get there, however.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On LBF vs Davidoff Flake Medallions, I think LBF is more fruity and lively, while Davidoff FM is more refined (well, just a touch) and the VAper component of Davidoff FM is closer to Escudo. I've smoked LBF back-and-forth with DFM before and I don't see much difference, really, other than what I just said. In other words, if price is a consideration then def go with the LBF.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love LBF. It's got a lightly sweet grassy taste with a mild dash of pepper. The first batch I had for about 6 months and smoked MUCH better then the newest batch I got it. The older stuff had a much more defined taste and a "fuller" flavor. I can't wait till this new stuff gets some age on it. It's got a really honest taste. It isn't as bold and robust as Escudo but it's a fine fine smoke for me.

LNF in my opinion smokes better straight out of the bag then LBF. It's Virginias are sweeter and fruit like. I enjoy it and plan on ordering some to cellar. I find the perique milder in the LNF.

LBF is still my "big jar" tobacco. It's one of the four jars I keep on my bar cabinet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Navy flake is one of my favorites, smoke it quite often. LBF is good, I like Lux Twist Flake better, but I like Navy Flake the best

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It does take 2-3 years of proper cellaring to get there, however.
    minimum!

Im also on the side of LBF... its a great all day smoke... but as Rothnh stated, it gets even better with at least a few years under its belt!

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LNF is a permanent in my rotation. Can't beat the price and it just gets better with age and I'm having a bowl of it almost every day now.

I also liked the LBF but the amount of center seems just a tad out of proportion for my taste.

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i blow through a pint jar of bulls eye a month along with 1/2 pint of luxury flake and 1/2 pint of navy... so i guess you could say i like it...

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking for an everyday bulk VaPer or VaPer hybrid flake at a good price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got another 24 oz box of LBF today from 4noggins. There is something I find quite soothing about grasping those coins as I jar them up. I use small mason Jars - about 6 for each 24 oz box. This way I don't interrupt the aging of all the tobacco when i want to pop one open.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At p&c a 24oz box is $50something shipped
    Can't hardly beat it

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$46.49 at 4noggins

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$46.49 at 4noggins

Is that shipped???

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Don't both offer free shipping for orders of $100 or so? I hate paying for shipping, so I never do.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, if I lived in the US I would never pay shipping. Just time your orders to hit the amount required for free shipping.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

looks like its actually a little cheaper at PC - around $45

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yeah, if I lived in the US I would never pay shipping. Just time your orders to hit the amount required for free shipping.

Yep, that's pretty much what I do. Doesn't take long to hit the free shipping mark.

Sorry, didn't relate to you're being in Canada.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My sample of LBF arrived last night and I smoked some this morning. All I can say is that this stuff is excellent. I absolutely loved it. Not to be compared or confused in any way with Escudo - completely different flavor. And certainly not an Escudo replacement. But it stands on its own, IMO, as an excellent everyday smoke. Very smooth smoke, and that nice subtle cavendish core adds just a hint of sweetness. Certainly a great value. I will definitely be buying this one in bulk and cellaring a bunch away. Loved it.

I have a sample of LNF headed my way soon so looking for ward to trying that one too. I feel like I struck gold here on an inexpensive bulk tobacco that I could smoke every day and want for nothing. Very happy with this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad you like it. I have about 5 pounds of LBF in the cellar and eventually want to have about 10 pounds. As Roth say, it gets way better once it has a couple of years on it.

May need to order another 25 oz box from Rich today.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure about the price of LBF at smokingpipes.com as it's currently out of stock but 24oz of LNF is $41.24 not including shipping. I rarely find tobacco cheaper elsewhere than smokingpipes.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the bulls eye is a couple bucks more...

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kcvet67, texmexpipe, prndl, mso489, retrogasm, buckaroo, zack24, andya27, frozenchurchwarden, brudnic1, pascal, ssjones, trailboss, beefeater33, cmdrmcbragg, papajoe, metarzan